Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2011-Oct-16 6:08 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.1.5

Naviator 1.1.5 is now available for download. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

New features/bug fixes in this version:

• Added support for the display of MPH and statute miles instead of knots and nautical miles.

• Added an optional compass rose around the aircraft icon, oriented to magnetic north.

• Added a "top and bottom" split screen for when the tablet is in portrait mode (i.e. oriented vertically).

• Beginning Oct. 20th approach plates will be directly integrated into the app and viewable in split-screen mode (i.e. no more external PDF viewer required)

• Minor bug fixes and UI enhancements

split screen approach plates

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2011-Oct-17 2:39 pm

lyndonchappell

Re: Naviator 1.1.5

I really like the compass rose feature. It makes situational awareness much better. Is there a way to select trackup view versus north up view? Great work Mike.

I used the app last night while doing some military contract flying that involved multiple user defined waypoints and constantly changing parameters. Naviator really made the work easier.

#3 2011-Oct-17 3:13 pm

bkspero

Like the compass rose, Mike.  Only small issue is my old eyes find it hard to see.  The thin white lines get lost in the clutter of the complicated NY sectional near NYC.  How hard would it be to make it black, or, better yet, black with selectible transparency like the plane symbol.

Barry

#4 2011-Oct-17 4:23 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Barry, it wouldn't be difficult at all. I'll put out a minor release later this week to correct this.

Cheers,
Mike

#5 2011-Oct-17 11:19 pm

lyndonchappell

Mike,

I really  like the idea of the compass rose, but I think there is a bug in it. I flew a night mission with the app tonight and I had to turn off the rose. The app froze up continually and crashed several times. I tried rebooting the tablet and the GPS a few times, but no luck. Finally, I turned off the rose and the software performed fine.

We were making holding patterns and steep turns, so the rose may have overburdened the system. The tablet is supposed to have a decent processor.

Anyway, I hope this is a simple bug to fix as I like the rose presentation.

Lyndon

#6 2011-Oct-18 4:12 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Lyndon,

That's distressing news. I'm not quite sure why the compass rose would cause the app to crash. Can you please let me know if this continues to happen?

Thanks,
Mike

#7 2011-Oct-19 1:20 pm

bkspero

Headspinning service.  Black compass rose in 1.1.5a is great.  Convinced to to buy my subscription early.  Thanks.

Barry

#8 2011-Oct-21 4:51 pm

perigee

Mike,

Some comments about the new embedded approach plate.

This is obviously a nice option to have, as you can see the moving map and plate at the same time.  However, with the current implementation, it makes it more difficult to use Naviator as a simple chart viewer.

I'll explain--

BEFORE the integration of the approach plate, you could go to the airport details, check off an approach plate box.  This would light up the "TPP" button on the map to basically "bookmark" the plate.  While looking at the map, I could click the TPP button and it would instantly jump me to my favorite PDF viewer to then read the plate full screen.  A quick tap of the back button on my tablet quickly brought me back to the moving map.  Jumping between moving map and full-screen plate was a simple single click away.

NOW --

Even if in FULL SCREEN mode, clicking a plate brings back the split-pane and brings up a small version of the approach plate.  Even when I click full screen, I can't seem to get the plate to take up the full screen.  The only way to make it bigger is by zooming in on the plate, or dragging the split pane to make that side bigger -- which is not really what I'd consider cockpit-friendly.

What I'd recommend:

If the moving map is in fulll-screen mode, clicking "TPP" brings up a FULL SCREEN version of the plate. 

ALSO, when the plate is active, have an option to QUICKLY (single-button) make the plate full screen.

and also... it might be nice if we had the option to set Naviator to launch a PDF viewer instead of using the embedded approach plate.

One other thing -- I had some trouble updating on the 20th.  When clicking a plate, nothing would happen.  I had to delete my entire naviator data directory and also uninstall and reinstall the app, and then redownload all data to get the plates to show up.

Thanks for listening!

#9 2011-Oct-21 6:40 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Perigee,

Those are valid points. I'll try to make the approach plates more user friendly for the next release.

Cheers,
Mike

#10 2011-Oct-22 2:13 pm

Skyhog

What am I missing....if I tap on KINT on the moving map, and choose "More Details" then tap on "PRO" and tap any of the items in the list, it still loads in a separate application.  Additionally, there is a checkbox there, but it doesn't appear to do anything.

#11 2011-Oct-22 2:32 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Skyhog,

Did you download the latest update for the "FAA Digital Terminal Procedures" file?

If you already have the update, try the following:

1. Main Menu --> Get Data --> United States --> FAA Terminal Procedures
2. Long-press on "FAA Terminal Procedures" and select "Uninstall File"
3. Return to the main menu and download updates

After doing the above, try viewing a plate.

Thanks,
Mike

#12 2011-Oct-24 8:16 am

capflyer

I've now got a couple thousand  approach plates mixed in with my pictures.  Not sure why this happened but it is not a good situation.  I don't mind if they are a separate picture album but there is way too many to sort through in the "all videos" album where all new pictures go.

#13 2011-Oct-24 12:52 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Capflyer,

Sorry about that. I'll fix this for the next release.

In the meantime, if you create an empty file called '.nomedia' in the directory '/sdcard/android/data' it will hide all the approach plate images from the photo gallery app.

Cheers,
Mike

#14 2011-Oct-24 9:33 pm

perigee

One other thing I noticed about the new plates ... and I realize this may be a nitpick, but it IS noticeable to me...  when zooming in, the plates are blurry.  A benefit of using the PDF versions is that they are vector graphics and retain their high quality even at close in zoom levels.

While I appreciate the ability to view the map and plate at the same time, I do feel like we lost positives in this latest version.  Specifically, the ability to jump easily between full-screen plates and the map... and the ability to use our own PDF viewer for the plates.

#15 2011-Oct-24 10:39 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Perigee,

The switch from PDF plates to the new format was done in preparation for some features that are in the pipeline. I agree that it may seem like a lost positive now, but I hope to capitalize on this change to add 10x more positives in the future.

Today I coded a fix for the full-screen plate issue. It will be included in the next release, I promise!

Cheers,
Mike

#16 2011-Oct-27 9:22 pm

jvarin

Hi Mike,
Love the split screen, but seems that on my Galaxy Tab, the screen rotation has stopped. Can't seem to run in landscape position.
I tried to toggle the screen lock, and no difference.

Is it my Tab?

I haven't upgraded on my Moto DROID-X yet, because the screen rotation is OK on 1.1.3a

Thanks,

Joe

#17 2011-Oct-27 9:39 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Joe,

The screen rotation is now automatically controlled by the accelerometer sensor in your tablet. Auto-rotation is a system setting on most tablets, so please consult the user guide for your specific tablet to ensure that it is enabled in your Android settings.

Cheers,
Mike

#18 2011-Nov-05 10:03 pm

Skyhog

Mike wrote:

Hi Skyhog,

Did you download the latest update for the "FAA Digital Terminal Procedures" file?

If you already have the update, try the following:

1. Main Menu --> Get Data --> United States --> FAA Terminal Procedures
2. Long-press on "FAA Terminal Procedures" and select "Uninstall File"
3. Return to the main menu and download updates

After doing the above, try viewing a plate.

Thanks,
Mike

Figured out my issue. It appears that only the plates work in the app. SID and STAR still load externally, as do some taxiway diagrams.  User error.

Board footer