Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2011-Oct-02 12:16 pm

Patrick

Galaxytab 10.1 Gps signal lost in flight

I bought a G tab 10.1 specifically for this app. The display looks great and so far it is everything I expected it to be.  However,,,,, the map displays no gps during flight.
This morning on the drive home I had it sitting in the middle of my trucks front seat and it had no problems. It was in airplane mode relying soley on gps satellites just as it would be in flight. Gps accuracy remained at 5 meters and speed changes were displayed in real time.
Why does it not work in flight? I even put it on the glareshield thinking it was not seeing enough satellites.
Aircraft is a b200 at about 275kts

Thanks and keep up the great work

#2 2011-Oct-02 6:58 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: Galaxytab 10.1 Gps signal lost in flight

Hi Patrick,

I'm not sure why the GPS would not have been able to get a lock. Did you initially turn the GPS on while the aircraft was still on the ground, or did you only turn it on after you were already moving at 275kts?

Are there any other Galaxy Tab 10.1 owners who can chime in?

Cheers,
Mike

#3 2011-Oct-02 8:45 pm

Patrick

It was on before takeoff

#4 2011-Oct-02 9:17 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Did you lose the GPS lock once in the air or were you never able to get a lock at all?

Thanks,
Mike

#5 2011-Oct-03 6:58 am

Patrick

I lost it after takeoff about 15 miles into the flight
On the return flight I had it in my lap with the departure pulled up and when I switched over to the high enroute I noticed I did not have gps. I put it up on the glareshield for about 15 minutes and it never locked back on

Would samsung have restricted the software to disable the gps above a certain speed?

#6 2011-Oct-04 4:47 pm

Patrick

Today I had a right seater watch the gtab
Gps worked great until accelerating through 269kts at FL250
Never picked up lock until after landing

#7 2011-Oct-04 6:14 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Patrick,

Unfortunately it sounds like you may have hit a speed limit with the internal GPS chip. Is using an external Bluetooth GPS a possibility for you? These typically have better GPS chips inside them, and are usually good up to 1,000 kts.

-Mike

#8 2011-Oct-25 10:57 am

61331a

I have the same problem on galaxy tab 10.1 Lte

#9 2011-Nov-01 12:01 pm

Patrick

Spoke to samsung today and the tech stated the gps should not be speed limited however since this is a third party app he insisted that it must be a compatibility problem with the gtab 10.1
I explained that i use it at 300 350 mph

I have tried to use it on four flights now in the king air  and it loses gps fix   

My trial period for naviator is expired  and i am undecided as gps is essential to using electronic  charts single pilot on a small screen

Mike

Any suggestions besides a bluetooth gps?   Any access to gps data from the developer end?

#10 2011-Nov-01 12:34 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Patrick,

I still think it's a speed issue despite what Samsung tech support says. Naviator doesn't do anything special with the GPS data. It uses the standard method of obtaining GPS data from the Android system, the same as any other app would.

If you wouldn't mind doing a simple experiment we can confirm the source of the problem. Install this app: https://market.android.com/details?id=c … gpsstatus2 and then run it while you are on your next flight. If the signal drops out while you are using this app then the problem isn't limited to Naviator and therefore the source of the problem must be the GPS receiver.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 2011-Nov-01 4:13 pm

Patrick

:-)   already have it in my search for a solution....same result
I agree its a samsung problem     i called samsung back and they are checking higher up the food chain

I expect the canned  answer of 3rd part  app can't help you blah blah

I expect If i keep this i'll be getting a bluetooth gps which i didnt want to do since its one more thing to keep up with and charged

Any suggestions for  a compact receiver that has long battery life?

#12 2011-Nov-01 5:16 pm

mpierz

i use the GlobalSat BT368i. bought on amazon for maybe 35 bucks? absolutely awesome unit. leave it in your tablet pouch or pocket and it will give you accuracy to less than 1 meter. battery life is over 8 hours constant use. search bt368 in the forum and you will find more info on it.

#13 2011-Nov-24 5:00 pm

MickG

I bought a Galaxy Tab 7 and experience the same loss of signal.  My average speed is 100 kts.  I do not get a "no GPS" indication, just no groundspeed, direction of flight, etc.  Normal function will come and go intermittantly, but only for a few seconds.  There are plenty of sats and locks when I check with third party gps software.  I even turned off all the avionics to see if there was some interference - no change.

Naviator works well on my HTC Incredible phone - I bought the Tab for the bigger screen and because it is a perfect size for yoke mounting.

I was able to pair a Globalsat BT GPS receiver with the Tab, but could not get Naviator to to use that data.  Is there a way to choose the GPS data source in Naviator?

#14 2011-Nov-24 5:34 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hello MickG,

When your tab experiences a loss of signal, do you lose position updates or just the speed/heading indications?

To connect the GlobalSat GPS with Naviator you will need to use another app such as this one: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.mobilej.btgps

Make sure you enable the "Allow Mock Locations" setting too (Android Settings ==> Applications ==> Development ==> Allow Mock Locations).

-Mike

#15 2011-Nov-27 5:58 am

MickG

Galaxy Tab 7 original model - Firmware 2.3.5 - Bluetooth GPS by Googoo form the Android Market - GlobalSat BT-338 GPS receiver

OK - On Saturday I used my GolbalSat BT GPS and an intermediate GPS BT program and had perfect results with the latest release candidate.  Traveling 190 kts ground speed.  Absolute perfect experience.  Metars worked great, etc...only "bug" I experienced on the latest release was when I touched an airport the info page did not open -even on repeated attempts.  After about 15 seconds the info started appearing OK.  This was while in the air - WIFI was off, and there is no cellular connection on this unit.

I was losing speed and positional data with the internal GPS - the airplane icon points straight up, but seems to be in the correct position on the chart/sectional.

On the same flight I tried Navzilla with the internal GPS on the Galaxy Tab and it locked and worked perfectly.  We were somewhere above 150 kts at the time.

My next interest is to try older versions of Naviator to see if some added feature has caused the issues with the Galaxy tab's internal GPS.

The Galaxy Tab is the perfect size for me - using the Samsung car mount kit with a custom yoke mount to make a perfect-sized display for the 152 I fly.  (hey, I fly cheap, or I don't fly at all!) 

No, the 190 kts was not in the 152.

Mick

#16 2011-Nov-27 11:22 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Mick,

Thanks for posting those details. I'm almost certain I know why it's not working now. I'll include a fix with the next release.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S.
The 152 is a fine aircraft, I was seriously considering buying one before I found my Cherokee!

#17 2011-Nov-27 4:44 pm

MickG

Awesome. 

I started looking at the HTC Flyer as someone posted that it works well for them, but I will keep the Galaxy Tab for now and await your remedy.  Love everything about it.

If you want me to try earlier versions of Naviator please let me know - or if there is anything else I can do to test for you.

Mick

#18 2011-Dec-04 8:53 am

gviola

Not to pile on, but had the same experience as MickG with my Galaxy tab 7".  At first I thought the position of the unit (RAM yoke mount in a PA28) was causing marginal sat reception, but changing that didn't make a difference.  Anxiously awaiting the fix as the 7" Galaxy fits exactly between the yoke horns and doesn't obscure the sixpack making it a perfect cockpit companion :-).

#19 2011-Dec-11 9:54 am

MickG

Took my Galaxy Tab 7 for a test drive in the car this morning with version 1.1.6. 

No loss of data, map panned smoothly, metars...everything worked well.  Thanks!

I may get to fly with it later today - will report anything else.

Mick

#20 2011-Dec-12 9:09 pm

walrii

I'd like to hear how Galaxy tabs are working with the latest Naviator realease, 1.1.6.  I'm looking at getting a Galaxy 8.9 but would like to hear how the GPS issue was resolved before handing over the money.  Thanks.

John McMurray
Burkburnett, TX
ATP, CFII, USAF Simulator Instructor

#21 2011-Dec-22 8:03 pm

jmmurf

I also had an issue with the Galaxy tab 10.1 losing GPS. I thought maybe it was the wing blocking it but today for no particular reason I removed it from the case and left it in my lap like always. It never lost the signal and worked better than ever before. I even rotated it around 180deg. With no loss. I'm not sure where the reciever is but maybe that's the cure for no GPS.
Jim

#22 2011-Dec-28 4:44 am

MickG

Had a chance to fly my Galaxy Tab 7 with 1.1.6e.  I still had a brief loss of response (ie 0 kts, heading 000, etc.)  Never got the "no GPS" pop-up.

This happened several minutes into the flight and lasted for a minute or so during straight and level flight with the built-in GPS.

After the information began displaying again, the system continued to work fine for the remainder of the 30 minute flight.  Placement/location of the Tab had no effect during the failure period.

Mick

#23 2011-Dec-28 10:56 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Mick,

That's troubling news. Was the position updating correctly while the speed and track info was missing?

Thanks,
Mike

#24 2011-Dec-31 6:30 am

MickG

Yes, the position seemed to be correct and updating while the airplane icon pointed north.  Perhaps I should try un-installing and re-installing?

Local weather does not look good for the next few days for another flight test. 

FYI I was able to get a GPS signal on a commercial flight last week and the system worked fine at 39,000', 440 kts, etc. Some were posting concerns about the internal GPS not passing info above certain speeds.

Mick

#25 2011-Dec-31 7:35 am

lyndonchappell

I use a Globalsat BT359. It has proven accurate at over 500kts (groundspeed with tailwind) in a Lear 35 at 41,000 feet. When I first started using BT gps about 8 years ago, the units would lock up at 200 kts. The SirfIII chipset in more recent gps  receivers solved the problem.

Board footer