Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2018-Sep-12 2:12 pm

rash

stitched vfr chart bug

After a recent chart update the stitched VFR chart seems to only "work" for a few zoomed-out settings. If I zoom in far enough to read the chart, it gets blurry and then goes blank if I scroll away from where I zoomed in. (I hope I'm describing that in a way that makes sense...) But if I switch to a specific chart (Cincinnati, Washington, etc.), zooming and panning works just fine. So for now I've gone "back" to viewing individual charts, since the stitched VFR chart is unreadable when zooming in.

The other stitched charts (IFR Lo, High, for example) seem to work fine - it's just the VFR stitched chart that isn't acting correctly.

The problem is on both devices I have (Samsung S5 and Nexus 7), so it seems to be a software/ chart issue, rather than a device issue.

Anyone else having a similar issue? It started for me at the last update cycle (so, about 28 days ago), and still isn't working after loading today's updates...

#2 2018-Sep-13 11:42 am

Light_Sport

Re: stitched vfr chart bug

Yes, the stiched VFR charts have been glitchy for me recently as well on my Samsung tab A (tablet) and on my Moto G5 (phone).  Most of the time if I select a VFR chart, then go back to stitched, it comes back, but not always.  It is annoying.

#3 2018-Sep-17 8:49 am

Luscombe

I noticed that if the VFR Chart option (not specific charts) is selected while having the TAC box selected the app will not let me zoom in clear and sometimes just leaves a blank page except for the layers selected. If I uncheck the TAC box, everything works fine. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1

#4 2018-Sep-17 11:02 am

bille

Luscombe wrote:

I noticed that if the VFR Chart option (not specific charts) is selected while having the TAC box selected the app will not let me zoom in clear and sometimes just leaves a blank page except for the layers selected. If I uncheck the TAC box, everything works fine. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1

Just for my clarification...what isn't clear and/or leaves a blank page?  Outside the TAC or the TAC area?  Also, are you using online charts or charts that have already downloaded?  (Is the Settings->Map Settings->Use Online Charts checked or unchecked?)

I don't have the online charts box checked and I zoomed into the Chicago area VFR and TAC area without seeing a problem.

Thanks,

Bill

#5 2018-Sep-18 10:47 am

Luscombe

If I choose to check the TAC box, when I go back to the map, I'll have a blank screen except for the layers chosen (airports, airspace, TFR's etc). If I start out with the stitched vfr chart with the TAC checked, when I zoom in, there's a glitch that doesn't allow the map to focus. If I switch to an individual chart, there's no problem. The problem seems to lie in the TAC charts overlying the stitched VFR charts

#6 2018-Sep-18 10:48 am

Luscombe

Choosing offline charts doesn't make a difference

#7 2018-Sep-19 6:50 am

aelliott

I don't see this problem. But a long while ago I made it a habit to shutdown & restart my tablet after every chart update before trying Naviator. Wonder if that makes any difference?
Andy

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

#8 2018-Sep-19 6:52 am

Luscombe

Unfortunately, this, and uninstalling/reinstalling doesn't make any difference

#9 2018-Sep-19 10:48 am

rash

Interesting - indeed, unchecking the "TAC" checkbox fixes the problem I was having viewing the stitched VFR chart. But I'm certain I always had it checked before, and it would seamlessly show tacs on the stitched vfr chart, without causing other issues...

#10 2018-Sep-19 2:57 pm

JWO

It appears this problem is related to which charts are downloaded and installed on a device. After reading Bill's comment that he doesn't see the problem with the Chicago TAC chart, I decided to download additional areas to see if that made any difference. I downloaded the midwestern areas for Illinois, Wisconsin, Nebraska &, Colorado, and TACs for Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver & Colorado Springs. Before this I had the south central US only. (Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, and TACs for Houston, Dallas, KC and St Louis.) After downloading the midwestern areas & TACs, now the stitching works in all areas, including the south central area, when the TAC check box is selected. I first did this on my Samsung Tab 4. After it worked on that device, I did it on my Samsung Galaxy S8+. Now both work correctly in all areas.

Looks like it may be easier to just download everything on each update. This would eliminate trying to debug weird Naviator problems, will eliminate deselecting so many charts, and eliminate the message the pop ups every time Naviator is started saying there are new charts to download. Seems like a big waste of time and a bigger load on the Naviator servers, but headaches like this aren't acceptable in my book.

#11 2018-Oct-03 4:29 pm

bs1

Same issue here on Moto e4 Plus. All charts downloaded and up to date, unticking TAC charts allows clear, zoomed in, stitched VFR charts.

#12 2018-Oct-10 4:04 pm

Light_Sport

I didn't change anything.  Went flying 2.7 hours recently, and it I didn't have any issues anymore.  I have no idea what changed.  I was using stitched VFR, with TAC enabled (Samsung tab A (tablet) and on my Moto G5 (phone))

Board footer