Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2018-Aug-01 4:05 am

sammy1958

No pressure altitude from Stratux

I have installed the ahrs board on my stratux and naviator will not show pressure altitude. I have the latest release of stratux and all other functions of the ahrs board are working correctly. Stratux menu does display the pressure altitude. I have checked naviator on my phone and tablet and neither will display the information.

Thanks

#2 2018-Aug-01 8:28 am

aelliott

Re: No pressure altitude from Stratux

I don't know of any AHRS board for the stratux system that collects barometric data.  Which board did you install??
Andy

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

#3 2018-Aug-03 3:02 pm

rollawade

The ahrs chip set that comes as an option for Stratux and plugs into the io pins provides baro data. "Stratux AHRS Sensors and Fan Controller / Raspberry Pi MPU9250+BMP280"

the bmp280 chip is the baro data.

go to naviator, settings/external devices/ads-b settings/override internal pressure sensor; and check the block to use stratux data in lieu of anything your phone might be providing.  if you make those setting you should see pressure data on the stratux web page (of course, check that you have toggled the ahrs and baro/altimeter on from that web page).  If that is all correct and naviator is still not showing pressure altitude then the naviator app might have a bug...

Last edited by rollawade (2018-Aug-03 5:27 pm)

#4 2018-Aug-05 6:27 am

sammy1958

Yes , I use all those settings, I can see pressure altitude being reported from the stratux screen. I opened a support ticket (email) as I am a paid user, but have not revived any response.

#5 2018-Aug-05 2:33 pm

rollawade

did you allocate a corner of the map screen to show pressure altitude? (i think you press and hold near a corner and you should get a popup screen to select field to display (altitude can be gps, pressure, or agl)??

Last edited by rollawade (2018-Aug-05 2:34 pm)

#6 2018-Aug-06 3:01 pm

sammy1958

Yes I did select the display to show pressure altitude.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u2NfLd9LD1GQdC3WA

The photos show the stratux  screen with pressure altitude and the naviator screen

#7 2018-Aug-12 4:09 pm

rollawade

Your screen shot of stratux web page shows that you do not have GPS position. 

I am not sure if that might have an effect on pressure altitude, but it will prevent your ahrs board from providing any useful information.  At bottom of web page for attitude you should show 4 green buttons and "logging" will be in red (unless you have enabled it). 

Please note STratux github page has a bug logged, "Disable AHRS output when GPS not present/lock not sufficiently accurate #732"
It has a youtube video that illustrates the bad attitude data when GPS lock is not achieved.  The video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT5qhoTR6_U , shows the red GPS status that your photo shows.

Once you get 4 green status buttons (and 1 red logging status) see if pressure attitude shows up.

Last edited by rollawade (2018-Aug-12 4:20 pm)

#8 2018-Aug-16 2:58 am

sammy1958

Thanks for that information, I use my tablet for the GPS position and my GPS altitude is about 50ft off from my planes pressure altitude, I thought the ahrs board may provide better alt  reporting but I do t want to add another GPS antenna to the mix

#9 2018-Aug-18 7:37 am

rollawade

Generally, GPS altitude can be 100 or more feet off in altitude.  The ahrs board should provide pressure altitude (and MSL altitude if you properly use naviator to set local altimeter setting).  There might be some error from static port error (or lack of static port data when using cabin air as alt static port).

Anyway, my experience is that using the Stratux with its GPS turned ON and proper altimeter correction for the local altimeter setting gives reading within 50ft of my aircraft altimeter.  (I am using the GPYes chip so there are no gps cables about and the stratux only needs to see the sky.)

The benefit of having the GPS enabled on the Stratux is that the AHRS chip can then provide its artificial horizon data to you (backup, of course, not primary data).

Last edited by rollawade (2018-Aug-18 7:38 am)

Board footer