Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#26 2016-Dec-17 7:37 am

cmmguy

Re: Android devices that Naviator works on with few problems

You would need the APK file for Naviator and you would have to change the settings in your Android to allow non-playstore installs.  Amazon video does it this way.

#27 2016-Dec-17 3:16 pm

rollawade

cmmguy wrote:

You would need the APK file for Naviator and you would have to change the settings in your Android to allow non-playstore installs.  Amazon video does it this way.

I would think Amazon video would be native to Amazon Fire via the amazon app store.  I think you might have been saying that certain Amazon apps are installed to a native Google device via a work around.  I suppose this is the opposite case of what I am looking for in downloading Naviator on a non-google play device.

It might work, but I do not readily see where Naviatorapp.com is offering APK's.  They redirect download click to the Google play store.

Do you have a suggestion of where to download the APK directly from?  A quick search seemed to head off to sites that offer APK download's but they look sketchy with their offers of PDF readers and other "communicable" virus/malware bait.

Last edited by rollawade (2016-Dec-17 3:17 pm)

#28 2016-Dec-17 4:45 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

APK files for Naviator releases are posted in this forum: http://forum.naviatorapp.com/viewforum.php?id=6

Cheers,
Mike

#29 2016-Dec-18 10:59 am

rollawade

Mike wrote:

APK files for Naviator releases are posted in this forum: http://forum.naviatorapp.com/viewforum.php?id=6

Cheers,
Mike

But, I do not see that there is a link to most current release that will keep one current with the Play Store??  I only see a link to 3.8.3, none to 3.8.4

#30 2016-Dec-18 7:10 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Good catch - I had forgotten to update the web site with the latest release. It's there now. It's a minor release containing a small handful of bug fixes. Most users won't notice any difference from v3.8.3.

Cheers,
Mike

#31 2016-Dec-19 11:41 pm

Light_Sport

Most apps on the play store do not have an apk  file available outside the play store unless you use a very shady website to download it.  Naviatorapp has an official link to the application file so you can load it directly. The apk file is the app program packaged up to load onto your tablet.  I haven't used a fire tablet for quite some time,  but if you Google how to load and apk file on a fire tablet it should give you current instructions.

The risks in doing this are basically giving Ann application permission to install and run on your device.   This is a bad idea if you can't be sure of the apk file origin.  Such an app could get password ando account information, for example.  The play store supposedly weeds this type of program out, so that the remainder are vetted by google.

Again, since the source of the apk for naviator can be trusted (as much as anything on the internet), the apk is safe to load onto your tablet.

#32 2016-Dec-20 10:49 am

rollawade

Light_Sport wrote:

Most apps on the play store do not have an apk  file available outside the play store unless you use a very shady website to download it.  Naviatorapp has an official link to the application file so you can load it directly. The apk file is the app program packaged up to load onto your tablet.  I haven't used a fire tablet for quite some time,  but if you Google how to load and apk file on a fire tablet it should give you current instructions.

The risks in doing this are basically giving Ann application permission to install and run on your device.   This is a bad idea if you can't be sure of the apk file origin.  Such an app could get password ando account information, for example.  The play store supposedly weeds this type of program out, so that the remainder are vetted by google.

Again, since the source of the apk for naviator can be trusted (as much as anything on the internet), the apk is safe to load onto your tablet.

Yes, I agree the best source for the app is directly from Naviatorapp.  Mike has corrected an oversight and the latest version link is now posted.

But, what might you know about any safe ways to enable Play stores services to function on the Kindle fire?  Getting Play to work would be nice so Mike would not have to take special efforts to link APK from this website.  It might also allow automatic updating.

Last edited by rollawade (2016-Dec-20 11:03 am)

#33 2016-Dec-20 1:35 pm

aelliott

I would be interested, anecdotally, in hearing if you are successful in installing on any Fire HD tablet.  Note that the Fire tablets, except for the expensive HDX, do not have internal GPS nor acceleromters/gyros.

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.0, echoUAT

#34 2016-Dec-20 1:58 pm

cmmguy

#35 2016-Dec-20 3:01 pm

rollawade

aelliott wrote:

I would be interested, anecdotally, in hearing if you are successful in installing on any Fire HD tablet.  Note that the Fire tablets, except for the expensive HDX, do not have internal GPS nor acceleromters/gyros.

I will say that this new 7" Fire (not an HD) seems to operate fine with Naviator and my wi-fi coupled Stratux.  The APK was downloaded from the link on this website using the native Silk browser.  I could then open the apk file in the documents file and it installed without issues (of course you will need to configure Fire settings to permit non-Amazon apps and Naviator account credentials will need to be entered).   No hacks for getting Google Play were required for this.

This works, but it would be nice if Google Play services were in place to auto-update the app.  The hacks that I have read about seem to be subject to hiccups in their reliability.

Last edited by rollawade (2016-Dec-20 3:13 pm)

#36 2017-Jan-05 11:15 am

samnehme

Emtcole86 wrote:

I am considering a Galaxy Tab A 7" with GPS 8gb Quadcore micro SD.  Thoughts

N5709T

It might too late for you. I just bought a Tab A 7 and it does not run 3D. Also it crashes all the time.

#37 2017-May-22 8:19 am

Rortegon

Anyone has tested Naviator with XIAOMI MI PAD3 7.9" ?

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_pad_3-8477.php

Looking forward for a good not so expensive 8" or 7" tablet.  Recently bought Huawey M3 but just sold it because it wasnt compatible with Naviator and because it seems that a patch or update is not going to be released.

Last edited by Rortegon (2017-May-22 8:19 am)

#38 2017-May-30 9:05 pm

Light_Sport

My Samsung Galaxy tab a 8" runs it flawlessly and the battery lasts at least 5 hours.  They occasionally go on sale at Costco.

#39 2017-Jul-21 11:09 am

Drakadoc

Thank you, I am thinking of possibly replacing my Nexus 7 for a little larger screen. The Galaxy 8 sounds like it would do the trick.

#40 2017-Nov-13 11:14 am

Chris B

My Nexus 7 (2013 WiFi) was getting sluggish, so I recently switched to a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (2016, SM-T713) running LineageOS. Naviator runs great on the internal GPS with a full complement of maps loaded on a removable 64GB micro SD card. Physically the Tab S2 8.0 is very similar to the Nexus 7, but 1" wider.

In addition to *much* better performance, the larger 8" display is a noticeable upgrade. Brightness is superior to the very good Nexus 7. An external Anker USB battery pack has no trouble keeping the tablet fully charged, while my Nexus 7 drains even with external power when running Naviator. I suspect that the new processor is much more efficient.

I wish that the Tab S2 had a USB-C connector. But combined with a RAM/ProClip combination featuring an integrated micro USB connection, it is easy to keep the tablet charged in-flight without putting stress on the micro USB connector.

The Tab S2 (SM-T713) is very well supported on LineageOS (currently running 7.1.2 "Nougat") with regular OTA updates, and has excellent long-term prospects. 8.x ("Oreo") should be available by early 2018.

Currently the Tab S2 (SM-T713) is going for ~$200 on Swappa. Note that early models of the Tab S2 (SM-T710) are cheaper, but use a proprietary Samsung processor which limits them to old versions of Android with the stock Samsung UI.

#41 2018-May-23 6:41 pm

Chris B

Drakadoc wrote:

Has anyone recently purchased a Samung tablet that works well with Naviator?

Per my November post, the Tab S2 (2016, SM-T713] is working great for me. I like it enough that I've bought a second tablet as a spare.

LineageOS support for the Tab S2 is fantastic, with frequent OTA updates. Very stable.

Board footer