Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-Jan-01 1:17 pm

Mover

SID/STARS, J and Q Routes, high charts, and pulling routes from DUATS

I'm fairly new to this app, so if this is already a feature, I apologize, but a couple of suggestions:

1)  It would be nice if you could enter the STAR or SID name (with appropriate transition) and have it auto-populate the various points into your flightplan.

2) Same thing with J and Q routes.  I tried this with Q100 the other day, and it wouldn't recognize it.  It would be nice to be able to enter HRV REDFN Q100 SRQ as it is filed, vice having to enter each point on the route.

3) Is there a way to have it "know" what high chart you're on vs having to select it?  Garmin and other apps do this - it's a little ghetto to be flying along and end up on the fine print of the high chart. 

4) I know you can flightplan and file through duats, but is there any way to pull a route from DUATS?  Or have a feature like duats with the "best routing"?

Thanks!

Mover

#2 2013-Jan-01 1:28 pm

jimgfitzgerald

Re: SID/STARS, J and Q Routes, high charts, and pulling routes from DUATS

"ghetto"  Please.

#3 2013-Jan-01 2:22 pm

JWR618

The white part of the chart IS considered the ghetto.  smile

+1 for all 4 suggestions above.  Thank you for all the work!!!

#4 2013-Jan-01 3:21 pm

Mover

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

"ghetto"  Please.

Perhaps "ghetto" was a poor choice of words.  Unrefined is more appropriate.  It is certainly not ideal, or appropriate for a moving map.

#5 2013-Jan-01 4:02 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the suggestions, they are all good ones.

Naviator already supports Jet and RNAV routes in the flight planner, however for some reason it looks like a few of the Q routes are missing from the FAA database. I'm not sure why this is the case. If you try with Q106 you'll see that it does indeed work. I'll get in touch with the FAA to ask why some routes do not appear in the database.

Cheers,
Mike

#6 2013-Jan-01 4:13 pm

Mover

Thanks, Mike.

This is the best aviation app out there for Android, and I hope to see it keep getting better.  I fly F/A-18s and right now there are three of us (one of which also posts here) in the squadron using this app.  Good stuff.

#7 2013-Jan-02 5:21 pm

Mover

Mike,

I was messing around with it a bit more today, and it seems the J and Q routes aren't supported in a basic search.  It would be nice for airborne reroutes to be able to search and then have it autopopulate the route (much like I'm requesting with SIDS/STARS)

Also, is there a way to add a search button or bar somewhere out of the way, but on the main page?  I realize the PVI is only a few button presses, but the quicker I can get to it and search, the easier it will be when center gives me a reroute.

Thanks again!

#8 2015-Feb-16 8:15 pm

sobsidian

I've been using Naviator for over 2 years. It has been awesome as a VFR pilot and far ahead of the competition with features until recently. I'm currently going through IFR training and finding some functionality that would be great, which is also in existence with the competition (ForeFlight), and been previously requested. I was trying to do some flight planning side by side with my instructor and his FF. I had no problem selecting a SID or STAR chart, however I could not populate my flight plan with those routes. For Instance, when I Click on "Quick Plan" and Choose "KHND PALLY2.HEC KLGB" it does not recognize the SID. My Instructor's FF app had no problem and loaded the proper route.

Along the same lines, it is a few more steps when doing my DUATS filing because I need to add those SID/STAR's to my flight plan that I file.

I realize that FF probably has a ton more developers and I see how large the suggestions list is and that it is impossible to make everyone happy... but It does seem like popular requests are being prioritized low looking at some of these topics and dates. I think a good option would be to compile these suggestions and let members vote on what they would like to see introduced in the next release.

I've just renewed my subscription, and I hope some of the, what I consider basic, functionality can be met. I want nothing more than to support Naviator as its been extremely helpful the past two years, but at the IFR stage, its becoming tempting to jump over to FF.

#9 2015-Feb-16 8:34 pm

jimgfitzgerald

I disagree.  I think it is up to the company owners/developers to decide how to design their product and up to customers to decide to buy it or not.  I'm sure the company owner's/developers take our request into consideration, but ultimately, it's their decision what they want their product to do.

Last edited by jimgfitzgerald (2015-Feb-16 8:35 pm)

#10 2015-Feb-17 9:37 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

sobsidian wrote:

For Instance, when I Click on "Quick Plan" and Choose "KHND PALLY2.HEC KLGB" it does not recognize the SID.

I understand that this is a highly desired feature, and it is being worked on right now with a high priority. Multiple app features are being worked on in parallel so while it may seem that some "low priority" features are being released in lieu of other "high priority" features, it simply means the "low priority" features took less time to develop. Admittedly it has taken us a little too long to complete this particular feature and I appreciate everyone's patience while we work on finishing it up.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 2015-Apr-20 5:39 am

tailwindcfi
Website

Hi Mike,

The app keeps getting better and better.  I'm sticking with ya!  I'm doing trips from Texas to New York in a Hawker jet and the stitched charts are really nice.  Thanks.

Sids, stars Most important next feature please. Approach fixes would b nice too.

Valerie

#12 2018-Apr-11 6:29 am

PiranhaPhish

Has the SID/STAR feature been implemented? If not, is it still being worked on? Or am I just not understanding how to use it?

I fly IFR periodically and see this as a moderate deficiency. I'm concerned that it's been over 3 years since this was being worked on as a "high priority". Beggars can't be choosers and all, but I would very much like to see this implemented. I'm currently evaluating Naviator coming from FltPlan Go; I very much like Naviator and it's a very easy sell for the price, but it's hard to swallow that it lacks features (this, and geo-referenced plates) that the free (yet clunky) FltPlan Go has had for a while.

Please don't take this negatively. I just want to throw my hat in the ring and say "me too".

Thank you.

Board footer