Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.0 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2017-Sep-18 5:57 pm

TFA170

Offline Aerial Maps

I use the aerial maps for about 75% of my flying and like to be able to zoom in and out at will.  If I don't zoom to the desired level in the desired place while I have data (wifi or 4G), I cannot seem to cache this data or save it anywhere.

It would be very handy to have the ability to designate an area via a two-finger rectangle drawing feature not unlike the crop function in most photo software and then have Naviator download all the aerial data at all zoom levels and scales within this area.  It would also be nice to be able to know how many scales there are and what the resolution is (100m, 10m, 1m imagery, etc).

#2 2017-Sep-19 9:22 am

cmmguy

Re: Offline Aerial Maps

I thought if you previewed the area while in wifi it would store the aerial maps. But yes, it would be nice to draw a box and save it explicitly for future use.

#3 2017-Sep-19 9:27 am

TFA170

cmmguy wrote:

I thought if you previewed the area while in wifi it would store the aerial maps. But yes, it would be nice to draw a box and save it explicitly for future use.

It does indeed do that, however, even for a short route of say, 100 miles, having to zoom down and 'crawl' along the route for each zoom level desired, is a fair bit of time. 

I also don't know how long it stays in the cache or memory of my tablet (or Naviator or wherever) as it seems to 'disappear' every time I go to a new area and then return to a previous.  It would be nice to designate an area, not unlike Google Maps does with "offline" map areas and have it save as a file to be called up. 

Alternatively, being able to designate a corridor (+/-5 miles either side of course centerline and a 5-10 mile radius around start and stop point) and have it save as an option, automatically even with a saved flight plan (I have two or three saved routes I use very frequently and this would aid tremendously).

#4 2017-Sep-20 6:27 am

cmmguy

TFA170 wrote:
cmmguy wrote:

It does indeed do that, however, even for a short route of say, 100 miles, having to zoom down and 'crawl' along the route for each zoom level desired, is a fair bit of time. 

I also don't know how long it stays in the cache or memory of my tablet (or Naviator or wherever) as it seems to 'disappear' every time I go to a new area and then return to a previous.  It would be nice to designate an area, not unlike Google Maps does with "offline" map areas and have it save as a file to be called up. 

Alternatively, being able to designate a corridor (+/-5 miles either side of course centerline and a 5-10 mile radius around start and stop point) and have it save as an option, automatically even with a saved flight plan (I have two or three saved routes I use very frequently and this would aid tremendously).

Agreed... I can think of a night time emergency flight and being able to look at sat photos and at least have a shot at finding an open field.  Not sure why it cant be cached better. Maybe licensing issues.

Board footer