Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.0 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2014-Mar-27 2:41 pm

joemurffy

ADS-B input to Winds Aloft

I'm a new user to ADS-B (using XGPS170), and I wonder if Naviator could use ADS-B provided winds aloft, when available, to populate the places that Naviator would otherwise use winds aloft from an internet provided source?  I see where it already does this for METARS, TAFS and NEXRAD.  I'm sure that I'm brushing over some nuances of the situation, but this would be helpful when on a long trip and I want to explore alternate altitudes or when trying to plan the next leg of a trip while still on the first.

Disregard this suggestion if winds aloft are not yet being provided via ADS-B or Naviator already does this and I just haven't yet figured it out.

Thanks,
Joe

#2 2014-Aug-04 10:51 am

tobim

Re: ADS-B input to Winds Aloft

I would like to add a "me too", here. I also think this would be very useful to be implemented in Naviator. Avare (free app) manages to do this, so they are definitely being broadcast and available.

#3 2014-Aug-08 6:00 pm

rash

This reminds me of a question I'd been meaning to ask - exactly which FIS-B data is Naviator actually using (i.e. from ADS-B). It's obviously downloading metars, tafs, winds aloft, tfr, sigmets, airmets, radar, etc. from internet sources when I'm using it on the ground - am curious how much of that it's downloading/ using airborne from FIS-B? (Obviously at least metars, tafs, and radar, but what else?)

Based on some data mining I've been doing on the ADS-B streams I've captured from my flights, I'm seeing my XGPS170 receive the following FIS-B products: Nexrad (product ID#63); Conus nexrad (#64); Generic Text (#413), which includes metar, speci, taf, winds, and pirep; as well as Notams (#8), Airmets (#11), Sigmets (#12), and SUA status (#13). I'm clearly seeing nexrad, conus nexrad, metars, and tafs in Naviator, but I'm not sure if Naviator is parsing/ displaying those other FIS-B products too? I know Mike has a lot on the to-do list, but if Naviator's not currently showing airmets, etc. from FIS-B, it'd be a nice addition smile

#4 2014-Aug-08 6:55 pm

jimgfitzgerald

Maybe I'm confused, but I don't think ADS-B downloads anything from the internet on the ground or in the air.  However, I don't know where Naviator gets it's internet weather data.

Last edited by jimgfitzgerald (2014-Aug-08 6:58 pm)

#5 2014-Aug-09 6:12 am

rash

By "ADS-B download" I just meant data that's broadcast from the ground stations and received via an ADS-B receiver such as the 170 (or skyguard, etc.) - also known as "FIS-B" data. I've noticed naviator indicates from which data source (internet vs fis-b) it pulled metars and tafs when viewing those. I'm just observing (based on intercepting and mining the data streams) that I think there is some FIS-B data being broadcast that perhaps naviator isn't displaying/ incorporating (yet?:) ...

#6 2014-Aug-09 8:28 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator currently displays the following ADS-B data products: NEXRAD radar (regional and CONUS), METARs, TAFs and traffic. I am working on adding additional products too, beginning with TFRs, AIRMETs and SIGMETs.

Cheers,
Mike

#7 2014-Aug-09 3:50 pm

rash

Awesome; thanks, Mike!

#8 2016-Apr-10 3:51 pm

bkspero

Mike wrote:

Naviator currently displays the following ADS-B data products: NEXRAD radar (regional and CONUS), METARs, TAFs and traffic. I am working on adding additional products too, beginning with TFRs, AIRMETs and SIGMETs.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike any update on winds aloft from FIS-B and the other products,  as well?

#9 2016-May-01 7:58 pm

MRC01

Thanks Mike, sounds great.
Another vote for displying winds both sfc and aloft. User selection can pick what level to show: sfc, 3000, 6000, etc.
This would also enable Navigator's altitude optimizer to work in-flight based on ADS-B winds.

#10 2016-May-02 5:14 pm

bkspero

MRC01 wrote:

Thanks Mike, sounds great.
Another vote for displying winds both sfc and aloft. User selection can pick what level to show: sfc, 3000, 6000, etc.
This would also enable Navigator's altitude optimizer to work in-flight based on ADS-B winds.

Mike`s response that he`s working on those things is nearly 2 years old. And he didn`t respond to my request for an update a few weeks ago. Pretty sure that means we shouldn`t expect to see them any time soon, if ever.

#11 2016-Dec-08 4:50 pm

bitten144

When will we get winds aloft info from ADS-b ?

#12 2017-May-12 11:50 pm

gspdracer

Anything happening with this? It would be a very useful addition.

Board footer