Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2016-May-03 10:55 am

MRC01

Poor Battery Life

Having used "the other" Android EFB app for several years, I've been using Naviator every flight lately to get used to it, and I like Naviator a lot, especially the way it presents traffic & weather from my Stratux. One difference I noticed between these apps: battery life.

Naviator sucks down the battery almost twice as fast as Droid EFB. I get about 8 hours on Droid EFB, more like 5 on Naviator. That's under similar if not identical conditions. This could be a show-stopper for long flights. Suggestions to make Naviator easier on the battery:

1. Run it under a profiler while in use to see where it's spending its CPU
2. When you find the hot spots, provide options to address them - for example if polling the GPS, network or external devices is a hot spot, provide an option to do it less frequently.
3. Naviator keeps the screen on and bright always. Provide an option to dim the screen after X minutes. When the screen is dim, the app keeps running as normal and any tap anywhere on the screen brings it back to full brightness.

#2 2016-May-06 12:50 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: Poor Battery Life

Thanks for the feedback. There are some good suggestions in your post - I really like the automatic dimming option. I'll add this to the feature backlog.

Cheers,
Mike

#3 2016-May-18 2:45 pm

JohnAJohnson

Mike, I hard-wire my tablets and they are always charging and at 100%.  I like mine on and bright and I don't want it dimming.  If you implement the above, please consider making it optional.

#4 2016-May-19 4:37 am

cmmguy

JohnAJohnson wrote:

Mike, I hard-wire my tablets and they are always charging and at 100%.  I like mine on and bright and I don't want it dimming.  If you implement the above, please consider making it optional.

+1

#5 2016-Nov-09 11:33 am

Skypuppy

Have a very good USB 2.1-2.4 amp charger (Power Were) and a very heavy USB cable. Not all cables are created equal. I have gone this route and my tablet stays at 100% while Bluetoothed to two other devices (Dual 170 & a Trio Autopilot). Make sure your location service and 3-4G/LTE is off.

Board footer