Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#26 2014-Jul-20 9:27 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: Special Use Airspace: MOA RA WA

chupuk wrote:

One it has that Naviator  does not is the ability to graphically hover over an Airspace (Special Use or just normal) and quickly find out vertical limits, conditions etc.

The vertical limits are displayed if you tap within the airspace boundaries (for normal airspace). We're working on adding additional info.

#27 2014-Jul-20 9:28 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

agibbs wrote:

Come on...Almost a year later and STILL no Special Use Airspace on the vector base map?

Sorry you feel that way, agibbs. I have a LONG list of requests and unfortunately I cannot make everyone happy at the same time. I am working on this, but it will take some time. I understand if you don't want to wait for it.

Cheers,
Mike

#28 2014-Jul-20 11:56 am

sddiver

Software development is the most fulfilling and at the same time most thankless occupation. (speaking from experience)

#29 2014-Jul-21 7:31 pm

jimgfitzgerald

I'm sure Mike has had other higher priority items to address.  He is very active in making improvements to Naviator.

#30 2015-Jan-05 8:00 pm

jimc177

I agree.  Please make the restricted airspace,  moa etc selectable with pop up showing altitudes frequency etc to avoid having to pan over to the edge of chart.  Ie treat similarly to other  critical airspace!  Lots of restricted areas in AZ?  Thanks

Jim

#31 2015-Apr-18 8:28 pm

kestrel

Hello, checking out Naviator after FlightPro's implosion.  SUA info is a valuable feature that is missing.  Regardless of stitched charts, having to scroll to the boundary to find this info is a PITA.  Tapping on the airspace is a much better way to get the info.  ...and yeah, the base map is dangerous without it.

#32 2015-Apr-19 7:00 am

slodders

I'll add my vote here as well...and to be seen on the vector map

#33 2015-Apr-20 5:24 am

walrii

Sectionals are complicated because airspace is complicated.  Being a pilot in command requires passing a difficult exam and being licensed by the government because its complicated and dangerous if you don't get it right.  I, for one, would much rather have a simple app that is stable and fast than an app with lots of features that is buggy and slow.  True, geniuses like Mike can sometimes work miracles and add new features without slowing down the app or introducing problems, but sometimes that grail is hard to reach.  Naviator is fast and stable.  Thanks for keeping it that way, Mike.

John McMurray
Burkburnett, TX
ATP, CFII, USAF Simulator Instructor

#34 2015-Apr-20 6:09 am

jimgfitzgerald

walrii wrote:

Sectionals are complicated because airspace is complicated.  Being a pilot in command requires passing a difficult exam and being licensed by the government because its complicated and dangerous if you don't get it right.  I, for one, would much rather have a simple app that is stable and fast than an app with lots of features that is buggy and slow.  True, geniuses like Mike can sometimes work miracles and add new features without slowing down the app or introducing problems, but sometimes that grail is hard to reach.  Naviator is fast and stable.  Thanks for keeping it that way, Mike.

Exactly.

#35 2015-Apr-20 8:51 am

slodders

Rubbish!

You are confusing "complicated" with "busy", and completely miss that the purpose of technology is to simplify the complicated and de-clutter the busy.  Your flying in "complicated" airspace should neither be complicated nor dangerous with the assist of technology. You should be embracing technology instead of being afraid of enhancing it to work for you.

If you say sectionals and airspace are complicated, then that sounds to me like a desperate appeal for user configurable vector maps to de-complicate sectionals and airspace so you only see what you need to at a very quick glance.

#36 2015-Apr-20 10:46 am

jimgfitzgerald

This forum is not a place to pick fights.  Nothing anyone posts here is rubbish.  You are, of course, free to disagree

#37 2015-May-01 1:04 pm

chupuk

what would be nice is to hover over an area and determine its status.  We have many SUA's in my area that require finding the appropriate NOTAM to get current status which can be a pain.  FYI, the FAA has stood up a really neat web site to graphically check Status and can be found at http://sua.faa.gov/sua/siteFrame.app

#38 2015-Oct-02 2:48 pm

Maule Guy

I compared naviator to several products so I jumped in, even buying a year subscription.  Unfortunately, I discovered that it contains no sua or moa overlay.  I was suprised such a basic feature is missing.   I was using anywhere map for years, and that product has it as well as garmin pilot, and foreflight.  It's a critical feature for western us flying.  Granted I could write down the moa name, select a sectional, pan to the edge, sort thru the moa list, find the frequency, write it down, reselect moving map,  ensure I have selected the vfr overlay and call the agency.  That's not a safe practice.  Technology should reduce workload..   As it is, it also requires more deligence when not using a sectional overlay because the moa is not shown and even when the vfr map is used, it can be hard to see.  A warning near critical airspace would be nice too but I digress? I can be patient but the fact this has been requested for so long, that Mike has not given any indication of its availability, and that many competitive products have it, is going to be a deal breaker for me unless he can give us an indication of approximate date of implementation. I want to be a loyal customer but I sense he has given it lower priority,  I hope I am wrong.   I have discussed this with local pilots and all have said this overlay feature is a necessity.  I don't get it.

#39 2015-Oct-02 5:47 pm

flyzone

I concur. This is a curious omission and deficiency and offsets much of the advantage of an electronic flight bag. I brought this up quite some time ago and thought by now it would be resolved. In some ways it has been resolved for me but not by the app; I just fly mostly IFR now and that keeps me out of trouble. But I'm sure I am in the minority with most folks flying VFR. If you do, it is essential.

#40 2015-Nov-18 11:41 am

slodders

Any update on this?

Thanks,

Dave

#41 2015-Nov-19 4:12 pm

maverick

Just for grins and giggles I researched iFly GPS. Very expensive compared to Naviator and without some features I like.
It amazes me that for a price that is reasonable Mike has made changes that make sense to many, not just a few. I am sure in his spare time he will get around to making code changes that please everyone.
I could be mistaken, but what other program like this gives you a free trial so you can make sure it has what you want and need before committing.

JIM

#42 2015-Nov-20 7:55 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

I'm working on this, and it will be ready when it's ready. Apologies for the delays.

Cheers,
Mike

Board footer