Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-Aug-07 7:26 am

aelliott

Use of internal accelerometer/gyro sensors

(Posted as a reply in the 1.8.1 new release area.  Re-posted here for additional comments.)
Many tablets, and especially the Nexus 7, have high quality 3-axis accelerometers and gyros inside.  Using the app "Flight Instruments" ($5) on my console-mounted Nexus 7, I found the horizon and data to be indistinguishable from the one in the panel-mounted EFIS, even during maneuvering.  While this is not an option for folks who leg- or yoke-mount their tablets, there ought to be a way to use the data from the internal sensors just like the stuff coming from iLevil at nearly zero cost, I think.  Even a working arrangement with BBFlight LLC to display that app in a split screen should be very low cost, considering the stand-alone price is $5.

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

#2 2013-Aug-07 8:53 am

aelliott

Re: Use of internal accelerometer/gyro sensors

Certainly true, but there is also a huge difference between the $1000 for the Levil AW (with air data) and $0 for the internal sensors!  And I think we are talking back-ups here, not primary flight displays. It turns out my particular panel already has a backup airspeed and altimeter instrument, as is common for many single-EFIS installations.

Andy Elliott

#3 2015-Nov-20 7:20 am

aelliott

Been more than two years since my first post, and Naviator still cannot use the high quality accelerometer and gyro sensors available in many tablets, requiring an external data source to take full advantage of the synthetic vision and attitude display. As before, I note that a large number of very inexpensive existing tablet apps can use these sensors to create AHRS-like functionality.
Any plans to ever change this? Reasoning?

Andy Elliott

#4 2015-Nov-20 7:55 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

"AHRS-like" is a good term to use. How reliable are these very inexpensive apps? Would you trust them with your life?

Developing an AHRS using consumer grade sensors found in Android phones and tablets is NOT an easy task. If you would like an overview of some of the math involved in creating a RELIABLE attitude reference, check this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalman_filter

I do want to eventually provide this feature, but I will NOT be doing so until I can be very confident in its operation on such a wide variety of Android devices. As an example of one of my concerns, I have seen some tablets that have shipped with misaligned accelerometers. Quality control is not always what it should be, especially for this type of application.

I am closing this thread. This feature is one that I desire to see as well, and I have done some work on this already over the past few years, but I will not be releasing it until I'm confident enough that it will be reliable for general use.

Cheers,
Mike

Board footer