Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2015-Sep-10 1:56 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 3.5.7

Naviator version 3.5.7 has been released to the Play Store. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

Version 3.5.7:

• Various bug fixes

Version 3.5.1:

• Added direct support for Bluetooth GPS receivers. Third party GPS apps are no longer required.

• Added an ADS-B ground station count data field.

• Added aircraft callsigns/tail numbers to the ADS-B traffic display.

• Added traffic support to the Naviator FSX Connector. Traffic from FSX and Prepar3D is now displayed in the Naviator app (screenshot below). Note: Requires a new FSX Connector available at http://www.naviatorapp.com/Releases/NaviatorFSX.msi

• Fixed the broken top/side data fields on devices running Android 4.0.3 and 4.0.4.

• Various performance improvements and bug fixes.

This screen shot shows traffic targets from Flight Simulator X using the Naviator FSX Connector:
fsx_traffic.jpg

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by Mike (2015-Oct-14 3:20 pm)

#2 2015-Sep-12 12:53 pm

aelliott

Re: Naviator 3.5.7

Went on my first flight is morning with my newly-constructed DIY ADS-B receiver.  Was running Naviator 3.5.0 and the v0.2r1 stratux image.  Was about to write a bug report that aircraft IDs were missing when I saw this 3.5.2 release!  I'll get that and try it ASAP. 

Other issues with the 3.5.0 version were
[1] that I had the ghost aircraft even though I input my tail number and ICAO transponder code to Naviator. Related to the fix??
[2] The direction flags on all the traffic did not line up with direction they were actually going.  Even my ghost aircraft flag was consistently pointing off to the 2-3:00 position.

[BTW, got the RPi2 and receiver pieces last evening and the longest thing was downloading the OS image and writing it to the microSd card.  Still took less than 1 hour to get it up and running!]

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

#3 2015-Sep-12 4:26 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

aelliott wrote:

[1] that I had the ghost aircraft even though I input my tail number and ICAO transponder code to Naviator. Related to the fix??

The next major release will include the ability to mute traffic targets by tapping on them. You'll be able to use this feature to hide the ghost target.

aelliott wrote:

[2] The direction flags on all the traffic did not line up with direction they were actually going.  Even my ghost aircraft flag was consistently pointing off to the 2-3:00 position.

I'm not sure why that is happening... The traffic targets I've seen during testing seem to line up perfectly (ex. landing traffic is lined up correctly with the runway). My first thought is it might be related to magnetic variation. What is the magnetic variation for the area where you encountered this problem?

If anyone else has also seen this problem, please let me know.

Cheers,
Mike

#4 2015-Sep-14 7:28 am

aelliott

Sorry, did not get a chance to fly yesterday to test out 3.5.2.  Plane went down for at least a few days...

Andy Elliott

#5 2015-Sep-16 9:05 am

aelliott

Mike:  Could/should there be any difference in Naviator response between directly received ADS-B and re-broadcast TIS-B data?

Andy Elliott

#6 2015-Sep-16 11:08 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

No, there should not be any difference. I'm inclined to believe that this might be a bug specific to the Stratux receiver, as Naviator has supported ADS-B traffic for quite some time and we haven't received any reports of this bug prior to this thread.

I recommend updating your Stratux to the latest code if possible. I know that Chris has been hard at work fixing bugs, and the newer code might have fixed this problem.

Cheers,
Mike

#7 2015-Sep-16 12:30 pm

aelliott

Running the latest "release" version, v0.2r1.  I'll wait out the beta periods; got way too much "beta" software already! wink  I sent Chris a note and screenshot.

Andy Elliott

#8 2015-Sep-21 7:21 am

bkspero

I've flown a few times since this update and haven't been able to get two functions to operate.

First, while I don't have ADS-B out, I see lots of traffic.  But I am not seeing any callsigns/N numbers on the traffic.  I have "Display Callsigns" checked in settings.  I would guess that some might have their callsigns blocked, but there must have been a more than 20 targets over the course of the flights and none showed their callsigns.  That seems like too many to have all been blocked.

Second, I continue to get false warnings for traffic triggered by my own plane.  I have entered my N number in the "Aircraft Callsign" field as N74429.  Is that correct, or should I have left off the "N" and just entered the numeric portion?

Tested on a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 running Android v4.4.2 and Naviator v3.5.2 with a Dual XGPS-170 ADSB receiver.

Barry Speronello

#9 2015-Sep-21 2:41 pm

flyzone

The new organization of the External Devices/GPS settings is confusing. I guess it is sort of ok for those us who can figure it out but for new users it will be a problem. I have a Dual XGPS170 and assumed the "Enable external GPS" setting would be appropriate for its use. Nope. After several tries and trying to connect it I figured out that the ADS-B settings took care of this and even though I have a an external GPS you just have to know not to check it or just figure it out.

#10 2015-Sep-21 5:19 pm

bkspero

flyzone wrote:

The new organization of the External Devices/GPS settings is confusing. I guess it is sort of ok for those us who can figure it out but for new users it will be a problem. I have a Dual XGPS170 and assumed the "Enable external GPS" setting would be appropriate for its use. Nope. After several tries and trying to connect it I figured out that the ADS-B settings took care of this and even though I have a an external GPS you just have to know not to check it or just figure it out.

Flyzone, I'm not sure if this response is directed to my issues with ADS-B traffic, but in case it is, I do not have "Enable external GPS checked" in Naviator.  So that isn't my problem.

#11 2015-Sep-21 5:21 pm

flyzone

No, BK, it was simply a comment on version 3.5.2 changes.

#12 2015-Oct-15 8:57 am

n85ae

Testing Naviator with my Raspberry Pi ADS-B, it works very well, but being 4 miles from O'Hare, I can see that
most of the time near the Class B I would need to turn off traffic. It simply gets too cluttered. In fact the inner
veil of the Class B can simply turn solid black. It would be nice to have user selectable traffic filtering options?

For example -

'Only show traffic within <user defined radius>' 
'Only display traffic within <user defined altitude range> of aircraft'

Also another useful feature(s) -

'force flush of all weather information'
'user defined weather expiration'

Great App (despite the critique)
Jeff

#13 2015-Oct-16 4:49 pm

maverick

I checked for updates and downloaded Ver 3.5.7. Whats up?

#14 2015-Oct-29 10:34 pm

mooneyflier

I did the same thing as maverick. My new version also says 3.5.7 I'm also having an issue with the app unexpectantly closing. It has done it twice while viewing a recorded flight.

#15 2015-Oct-30 2:03 am

maverick

I received an email from Mike explaining he hasn't had time to update the release index. I can't help you with the other problem.

#16 2015-Oct-30 8:53 pm

mooneyflier

Thanks maverick.

Board footer