Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.0 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2012-Dec-05 9:51 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.3.5e

Naviator version 1.3.5e is now available in Google Play. The updated user guide is available here. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

Changes in this version include:

1.3.5e

• Important fixes for the Dual XGPS170

• Added the raw TAF code to the bottom of the METAR pop-up on the map screen (if the weather station publishes a forecast).

• Added a data source indicator to the METAR pop-up that indicates if the weather data came from the internet or from ADS-B

• Added support for Bluetooth-enabled ADS-B receivers. Note: ADS-B support is currently experimental and we appreciate your help and patience with identifying any remaining bugs.

• Added a launcher shortcut for the "File & Brief" screen.

• Added a new "traffic" map layer with support for the Zaon XRX. Traffic alerts are shown visually on the map and spoken verbally.

• Added better notification of any errors that have occurred during the chart update process.

• Added color-coding to the Approach Plate section of the app; A green background means ALL approach plates have been download for that particular state or airport. Orange background means charts are missing and have not been downloaded yet.

• Fixed issue where GPS and NMEA output would cut out when the app was put into the background.

• Various bug fixes

If you use the ADS-B feature we would appreciate very, very much if you would record the ADS-B stream and send us any recordings you make. This will help us speed along with adding support for more ADS-B products. ADS-B recording can be enabled on the "ADS-B Settings" screen. ADS-B recordings can be found on your SD card in the /Naviator/ADSB/ directory. Thanks!

And finally, one note on the verbal traffic alerts: All android devices have a built-in text-to-speech (TTS) engine, however the voices can be replaced quite easily. We have found that the IVONA Text-to-Speech HQ sounds quite a bit nicer than the default voice (for the Nexus 7, at least). We are using the 'Amy' voice. It's currently available for free in the Play Store so check it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … .ivona.tts

Cheers,
Mike

Edit 2013-Jan-06: Updated to version 1.3.5e
Edit 2012-Dec-22: Updated to version 1.3.5b

Last edited by Mike (2013-Jan-06 12:37 pm)

#2 2012-Dec-05 10:40 pm

jimgfitzgerald

Re: Naviator 1.3.5e

It's not there.

#3 2012-Dec-05 10:45 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

It's been published, but it might take a while for it to show up in the Play Store. It doesn't usually take more than an hour or so and it should be there soon.

-Mike

#4 2012-Dec-05 10:48 pm

jimgfitzgerald

Thanks Mike.

#5 2012-Dec-06 7:54 am

flyzone

I have an unopened Nexus/7 since I'm waiting for my Dual ADS-B receiver to show up. However, Mike mentioned use of an SD card to record tracking, which the Nexus/7 doesn't have. Is there a better tablet (with an SD card) for me to use for the Naviator app than the Nexus/7? I don't want a full size tablet since I am hoping the 7" will be just small enough for a yoke mount. Since the box is still unopened I can return it to Sams easily and get a better one if that is the case.

#6 2012-Dec-06 8:08 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Flyzone,

I used the term "SD card" in a general sense to refer to the "external storage" feature of Android - sorry, I should have been more specific. The Nexus 7 can definitely still record tracks and ads-b streams. They'll show up on the drive you see when you connect your Nexus 7 to a regular computer.

Cheers,
Mike

#7 2012-Dec-06 9:00 am

flyzone

Thanks for the clarification, Mike and I'm glad to hear the Nexus/7 will have this desirable capability. I guess I can open my box now smile I bought the larger memory unit (32GB) in anticipation of the need for additional mapping storage, tracking, etc. I just hope it is enough since it looks like an SD card is not going to be in the offing from Google.

#8 2012-Dec-09 6:47 am

relbo2000

Any pics or videos of a working ads-b pairing with the Dual 170? Please post. I am trying to determine if I am going to resubscribe to Naviator which expires at the end of January. I want to see how the aircraft and weather is layered.

#9 2012-Dec-09 12:07 pm

pw

Mike,

Thanks for the color coding of the approaches available by state, it is very helpful.  Minor issue when using "download all" on approach,  the selected state does not turn green until reentry into the upper menu.  -pw

#10 2012-Dec-09 8:37 pm

DrBill
Website

Mike, when looking for an ADS-B receiver, is there anything (spec) we should look for to insure compatibility ?
I am looking at the Clarity Dual model
http://www.sagetechcorp.com/general-avi … -ads-b.cfm
What model did you test with ?
Thanks
BILL

#11 2012-Dec-09 10:50 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

relbo2000 wrote:

Any pics or videos of a working ads-b pairing with the Dual 170? Please post. I am trying to determine if I am going to resubscribe to Naviator which expires at the end of January. I want to see how the aircraft and weather is layered.

I'll try to post a screenshot or two soon. The weather is layered in exactly the same way as it is with the internet weather (enable the NEXRAD layer from the Layers screen). METARs and TAFs function in exactly the same way as well. ADS-B traffic is not ready yet, but will be coming soon (only Zaon XRX traffic is available in the current version of the app).

pw wrote:

Thanks for the color coding of the approaches available by state, it is very helpful.  Minor issue when using "download all" on approach,  the selected state does not turn green until reentry into the upper menu.  -pw

Thanks. This has been reported by a few customers and I'll have a fix for it soon.

DrBill wrote:

Mike, when looking for an ADS-B receiver, is there anything (spec) we should look for to insure compatibility ?
I am looking at the Clarity Dual model.

Unfortunately the Clarity receivers will not work with Android phones and tablets. We are supporting Bluetooth ADS-B receivers that use the GDL-90 protocol. The vendor will be able to tell you if their receiver uses the GDL-90 protocol. For now we are supporting the NavWorx WxBox and the Dual XGPS170.

Cheers,
Mike

#12 2012-Dec-10 12:00 am

jimgfitzgerald

How old are the nexrad images received using ADS-B?

#13 2012-Dec-10 8:11 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

The regional nexrad images are broadcast every 2.5 minutes.

-Mike

#14 2013-Jan-29 4:47 pm

gcreager

Nexrad updates in "storm mode" about once every 5 minutes, and in "clear air mode" about once every 7 minutes. As more Dual-Pol sites go online (most of the radars have been converted) this will change slightly. Regional radar mosaics are created and broadcast about every 2.5 minutes but in a worst-case scenario radar data for a particular site could be up to 7.5 minutes old while other sites have updated around it.

gerry

Board footer