Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2011-Oct-14 10:13 pm

rajatgoyal01

sectionals outside USA

Hi all,

Flew my first cross country with naviator today.
Am trying out the trial version.

I programmed the garmin mounted in the plane and compared the readouts on speed, eta , alt and naviator was bang on .

However, it was not much use to me for vfr navigation as the sectionals for Canada are not available and the base map is too low in detail.

Is there any way to get sectionals or any other topographical maps with the airports and navaids overlayed for Canada (Vancouver area)

If this app were more vfr friendly for pilots outside the US, the market for it would be huge. I'd buy it in a second.

Thanks

#2 2011-Oct-15 7:33 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: sectionals outside USA

Hi rajatgoyal01,

I'm going to be working on improving the Canadian base map soon. Unfortunately Nav Canada holds the copyright to the actual VFR and IFR charts so I'm not currently able to add them to the app, although I hope to be able to add them at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Mike

#3 2011-Oct-16 11:23 am

rajatgoyal01

I was aware of the problem with the copyright.

Its just that when I use the software I have to keep refering to the vnc back and forth to know my position.

I was thinking if u could get the map tiles from google or vector maps that some road GPS apps use (navdroid)  even those have far more detail than the current base map.

I am not trying belittle ur work, its still an awesome software and it works. just that I need it for vfr cross country flights and the low quality map is a deal breaker for me.

#4 2011-Oct-16 11:38 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi rajatgoyal01,

I am from Vancouver myself, and I definitely feel your pain. I am working on improving the base map though. I will be adding major roads and city/town labels, which should help with VFR nav (For example, in the GVRD hwy #1, hwy #99, hwy #7 and others will be shown on the base map). I will eventually add other map features, but the first step is getting the roads and city names into the database.

Cheers,
Mike

#5 2011-Oct-17 2:43 pm

lyndonchappell

Is there anyway to buy charts from NavCanada and use them in Naviator?

#6 2011-Oct-17 4:24 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Not easily. There are no digital versions of the charts, so each individual chart would have to be scanned and tagged with geographical information in order to work with Naviator.

-Mike

#7 2011-Oct-26 10:01 pm

Quickie

Hi all
I have the same problem as Raja, but I have digital raster aviation charts and maps in BSB format. Will I be able to upload these to Naviator?
Thanks
Peter

#8 2011-Oct-26 10:16 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately it's not currently possible to import BSB files into Naviator. We may consider adding this feature at some point in the future but I cannot make any promises.

Cheers,
Mike

#9 2011-Oct-26 11:38 pm

Quickie

Mike,
How about using Trakbuddy or Mobile Atlas Creator to prepare maps for uploading?
Thanks
Peter (clutching at straws)

#10 2012-Sep-24 12:02 pm

TomS

Quick note - skyvector has been able to load a beta world VFR that includes non-FAA Canadian sectionals - maybe they can assist

Board footer