Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2012-Mar-09 7:00 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.3

Naviator version 1.3 is now available in Google Play (formerly known as the Android Market). Edit: A newer version is now available here.

This version ends support for Android 2.1 devices.

Changes in this version include:

• Added a global terrain base map and terrain warning layer (not available with the free trial)

• Added NEXRAD radar and infrared satellite overlays to the map (requires an internet connection)

• Added support for barometric altitude if the device has an internal barometer (Xoom, Galaxy Nexus, etc)

• Added additional buttons to the map screen for quick "one-tap" access to common functions

• Added a "None" option to the available map data fields

• Fixed a bug where using non-English languages would break the app

• Other minor bug fixes

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2012-Mar-10 10:09 am

tooltime

Re: Naviator 1.3

The buttons at the bottom are cool, but how do you overlay the radar and terrain features?

#3 2012-Mar-10 11:00 am

bkspero

tooltime wrote:

The buttons at the bottom are cool, but how do you overlay the radar and terrain features?

At the chart screen, select the device's Menu button and pick Layers from the pop-up menu along the bottom.  Then check the appropriate boxes from the list of layers that appears.  Note that there are two tabs at the top because there are two pages of layer choices.

#4 2012-Mar-10 11:07 am

bkspero

Mike, nice improvements.  Buttons are a big help.  Looking forward to more of them.  Losing the whole strip of screen space for 5 or 6 buttons is a pretty high price.  Will be more worthwhile when you have time to add more button capability to fill more of the strip.

Also, any word on when stitched charts will be ready?  I'd be willing to forego all the improvements in the last two upgrades for stitched charts,

Barry

#5 2012-Mar-10 11:25 am

tooltime

My device doesn't have a menu button ( Acer A-100 )

#6 2012-Mar-10 1:08 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Tooltime,

All Android devices have a menu button. On The Acer A100 I believe it would be located at the top-right corner of the screen.

Cheers,
Mike

#7 2012-Mar-10 5:58 pm

tooltime

Looked everyplace I can, still can't find any radar or terrain. I can find preferences, but nothing about radar or terrain,
and it says my files are up to date. If I fly into a mountain or a thunderstorm, I'll be pissed

#8 2012-Mar-10 6:12 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi tooltime,

Are you looking on the main screen or on the map screen? The 'layers' menu item is only on the map screen. From the main menu tap 'Fly --> View Map'.

Cheers,
Mike

#9 2012-Mar-10 7:26 pm

tooltime

From the map screen ( sectional ) the only menu is at the bottom of the screen, when I click on it.
split screen
lock screen
map preferences
add waypoint
reverse route
new route

#10 2012-Mar-10 7:33 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Are you holding the device in portrait mode? If yes, can you try holding it in landscape mode to see if the 'layers' menu item shows up?

Thanks,
Mike

#11 2012-Mar-10 7:51 pm

tooltime

why didn't I think of that. It works in landscape, and holds it when I turn it to portrait. In my plane it's in portrait.

Thanks Mike

#12 2012-Mar-10 10:34 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Good to hear. It's still a bug though, and I'll try to get this fixed for the next release.

Cheers,
Mike

#13 2012-Mar-11 7:09 am

kloudking1

Mike,

Is there any way to show airspaces on the terrain map? I haven't tried it flying yet, but sitting in the house viewing the terrain map I don't see airspaces. Thanks,

Tony

#14 2012-Mar-11 11:37 am

tooltime

Flew an hour west today, it worked good about half the time. It keep loosing the gps fix. I would take it out of the mount I made and hold it up in the wind screen to lock it in again and it would hold the fix for a while then loose it again. I guess I need a remote gps with bluetooth. I think I saw on here where someone did that, I'll look around.
Great app though, I like it better than my 496, much easier to see.

Tim

#15 2012-Mar-11 2:28 pm

mpierz

i have no change between terrain and base maps... also had a force close issue for an hour every time I tried to view map. Had to restart phone to make a difference,- Motorola atrix2

#16 2012-Mar-11 2:33 pm

mpierz

Dl`ing terrain maps would probably help... go me.

#17 2012-Mar-11 7:48 pm

jpwamt
Website

OK im not going to lie,  with every update this app keeps getting more amazing,   And i havent even really messed with the terrain features,  just the one touch buttons and the barometric altitude is more than enough,   When the update for couple to the autopilot coming out?  haha...

I just need a way to get the internet in flight,  to make the radar and everything work in the air.

#18 2012-Mar-12 2:36 pm

Eddie G

I flew with the Naviator from Michigan to California over the weekend. Thanks for getting us home safe! Will compile some of my wishlist based on my 15 hours of in-air experience in the suggestions links. After I parked the plane in the hangar and got home I got the Android market's message that new version is available. Bummer. But am glad to see there's new prorgress for the next flight.

The new extra buttons make things easier, but eat up too much of the map landscape on of my 7" tablet's viewing area in landscape mode. Any chance it can be combined with the stuff on the top in one line? Also, clicking twice to get to full map screen is one too many steps in turbulance. I liked the old dedicated button for full screen.

If you want to test it on the ground, try using it in the car while somebody else is driving you around in a rough bumpy road.

Btw, it crashed when I turned the tablet to portrait and then back to landscape really quick (sectionals view mode).

2 thumbs up for what you have done so far...

#19 2012-Mar-12 2:37 pm

pseizinger

Mike,

The terrain feature is a great feature and I noticed that in addition to the buttons on the bttom of the screen, the procedures list is in a little larger print now making it a little easier to read and select -Fantastic. One thing I think I may be missing here is I was under the impression that Naviator is supposed to select and display the next chart when you run off the map. If that is the case, it does not appear to be working. If on the other hand Naviator simply shows the next chart from the category you have selected, then it is working. Could you clarify if I am under the wrong impression?

Thanks,

Phil

#20 2012-Mar-12 3:35 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Eddie G wrote:

The new extra buttons make things easier, but eat up too much of the map landscape on of my 7" tablet's viewing area in landscape mode. Any chance it can be combined with the stuff on the top in one line? Also, clicking twice to get to full map screen is one too many steps in turbulance. I liked the old dedicated button for full screen.

There is a bug in the menu system on 7-inch tablets. The 'Full Screen' menu item is supposed to still be there and I'll work to correct this for the next version. You will be able to show or hide the new buttons along the bottom of the map in the next version as well.

pseizinger wrote:

One thing I think I may be missing here is I was under the impression that Naviator is supposed to select and display the next chart when you run off the map. If that is the case, it does not appear to be working. If on the other hand Naviator simply shows the next chart from the category you have selected, then it is working. Could you clarify if I am under the wrong impression?

The latter is correct.

Cheers,
Mike

#21 2012-Mar-13 6:37 am

rvn817j

Mike - I just picked up a Nexus the other day. I attempted to use the altimeter feature and put in the barometric pressure data. I did not see where the altitude is displayed. (BTW, I'm still on the trial for your program so I do not know if this is one of the hidden features.) Thanks.

#22 2012-Mar-13 7:39 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

If you want the barometric altitude to be used in recorded tracks, you need to enable it from the preferences screen:

• From the main menu tap 'Preferences'

• Tap 'Altitude Provider'

• Select 'Barometer'

To see the barometric altitude on the map display:

• Long-tap in any of the four corners of the map

• Select 'Barometric Altitude' from the list

Cheers,
Mike

#23 2012-Mar-17 3:57 pm

bkspero

Mike,

Used the terrain feature in the plane for the first time today.  What are the clearence cutoffs for the red and yellow shading?  Is it like the Garmin 430w..yellow is >100 ft and <1000 ft, and red is <100 ft (including negative clearance)?

Suggestion to have a setting where terrain is off if speed is less than some cutoff indicating ground operations.

Barry

#24 2012-Mar-18 10:54 am

snoboy

I asked basically the same question on face book and got this answer from Mike...

Naviator  "If the terrain is within 300 feet below or is above the current altitude the shade will be red. If the terrain is between 1,000 and 300 feet below the current altitude the shade will be yellow".

Hope this is what you're looking for.

snoboy

Board footer