Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-Nov-22 12:27 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator SimConnect

Naviator versions 2.0 and up feature SimConnect support for connecting to Microsoft Flight Simulator. To use this new feature simply download the companion Windows application from http://www.naviatorapp.com/releases/NaviatorFSX.msi and install it on your PC. When you are using Microsoft Flight Simulator, run the companion app at the same time. The data from Flight Simulator will be broadcast over your WiFi network to Naviator. Start Naviator and tap Preferences --> Flight Simulator Connector to activate the connection.

That's it! If all goes well, Naviator will automatically start to receive GPS and AHRS (pitch/roll/heading) updates from Flight Simulator.

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2013-Nov-29 4:04 pm

capflyer

Re: Naviator SimConnect

I played with this earlier and it worked perfectly with FSX.  Easy to set up.  Great addition......Thanks Mike!

#3 2013-Dec-26 2:06 pm

AngelAndres

Oh man, I'm excited about this.  This will take my IFR practice to a new level.

Thanks!

-Angel

#4 2013-Dec-26 3:13 pm

AngelAndres

Okay, so I gave this shot and it definitely connected via Wifi as described and showed my FSX location on the naviator map on startup, but only once.  It didn't continue updating (streaming) the location.
I tried the 1hz, 2hz and 5hz refresh rate on the NaviatorFSX window on my PC and that didn't do anything, even though it did show that it was receiving updated data from FSX.  I toggled the "Flight Simulator Connector" off then back on in Naviator's settings menu on my tablet and it updated the location on the map each time once, but still no stream.
I'm using FSX on a Dell Windows 7 64bit PC.
I'm using Naviator version 2.0.3 on an ASUS TF101 tablet.
Any thoughts?

#5 2013-Dec-30 12:08 pm

BrianBest
Website

I am also using  FSX on a Dell Windows 7 64bit PC with a Nexus 7 tablet.

The Naviator FSX Connector says it is connected and is reporting Lat, Lon, altitude and speed.

Under the Naviator App Settings (not preferences) under Flight Simulator Connector it says "tap to disconnect from FSX".

So I think that all looks good.

But the map display has an icon at the middle top that says NO GPS.

What am I missing?

I see the following in the Nexus 7 log when I "tap to disconnect from FSX".

12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808): java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at libcore.io.Posix.recvfromBytes(Native Method)
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at libcore.io.Posix.recvfrom(Posix.java:141)
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at libcore.io.BlockGuardOs.recvfrom(BlockGuardOs.java:164)
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at libcore.io.IoBridge.recvfrom(IoBridge.java:506)
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.doRecv(PlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:161)
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at java.net.PlainDatagramSocketImpl.receive(PlainDatagramSocketImpl.java:169)
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at java.net.DatagramSocket.receive(DatagramSocket.java:250)
12-30 14:32:05.455: W/System.err(5808):     at com.onetwentythree.skynav.ar.run(SourceFile:82)
12-30 14:32:05.455: I/Choreographer(5808): Skipped 120 frames!  The application may be doing too much work on its main thread.

This is just a guess, but that sounds like I was connected to the socket from the FSX, but somehow the position is not being updated so I don't see it in the App.

Last edited by BrianBest (2013-Dec-30 12:34 pm)

#6 2013-Dec-30 1:07 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

It sounds like your router might be blocking the network packets from getting to your tablet. Can you please let me know what make/model of router you are using?

Thanks,
Mike

#7 2013-Dec-30 1:16 pm

BrianBest
Website

It is from Verizon, the model number on the front is MI424WR

#8 2013-Dec-30 3:15 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

You can try disabling IGMP on your router, as described here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter … 345#M35751

If that doesn't work I'll need to update the FSX Connector app so that you can address the packets directly to your tablet instead of using UDP broadcast.

Cheers,
Mike

#9 2013-Dec-30 4:04 pm

BrianBest
Website

Mike - thanks for the reply.

I disabled the IGMP as described in the forum - no change.

I also tried the variations mentioned below in the Verizon forum post. They didn't really say if there was a correct sequence so I tried a few different things. Both the Windows and Android Naviator Apps seem to be functioning properly - no messages or anything - but also no update on the map.

Please feel free to email me if I can help with more diagnosis.

#10 2013-Dec-30 5:38 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

One more thought... Do you have any sort of firewall on your Windows computer (ex. Windows Firewall)? If so, turn it off and then try using the FSX Connector again.

Thanks,
Mike

#11 2013-Dec-30 6:27 pm

BrianBest
Website

I did have Windows firewall on. I turned off both public and private - no change.

This is found on the Windows Control panel -->> Windows Firewall

Also on the firewall screen I selected "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall" and selected the NaviatorFSX.exe - no change.

The symptom is that when I connect to FSX I see the NO GPS message on the map, before that I see my current position. When I disconnect it goes back to the current position.

Thanks for the support. I'll continue to play around with it.

I also tried this on a Samsung S2 - same.

Last edited by BrianBest (2013-Dec-30 7:53 pm)

#12 2013-Dec-30 9:13 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

I've uploaded a new version of the FSX Connector to http://www.naviatorapp.com/releases/NaviatorFSX.msi

The new version allows you to enter the IP address of your Android device when using the 'Direct Connect' mode. This should resolve the issues you have been experience with the previous version of the connector app.

Cheers,
Mike

#13 2013-Dec-31 8:11 am

BrianBest
Website

I installed the new NaviatorFSX.msi

Started FSX, Android Naviator and the connector

Entered the local ip address for the Nexus 7 (192.168.1.15)

Connect - no luck

Double-checked the Nexus ip address with the router - ping ok, turn off wifi on Nexus 7 ping not ok, turn wifi back on - ping ok

Look for the connection with the windows TCPView utility. When I Connect the connector I see the UDP Port open and the TCP connection established to the FSX but no connection to the Nexus

In the Nexus Android log I see the messages from the previous post at disconnect and no messages at connect

I also tried to connect with the Windows firewall off - no change

Please let me know if there is something else I can do to help trace it

Last edited by BrianBest (2013-Dec-31 8:20 am)

#14 2013-Dec-31 10:03 am

BrianBest
Website

OK, the good news - it works.

The problem is I'm not exactly sure why.

There are 2 IGMP settings that I have been changing both are under the ADVANCED option on the Verizon MI424WR router.

Under the Router option is IGMP
Under the IGMP Proxy Option is the IGMP Proxy

I toggled both back and forth - no difference
I tried it again with the FSX PC connected via wireless rather than Ethernet - no difference
I tried the FSX connector with both Automatic and Direct connect - no difference

Finally I rebooted the router! And dis/reconnected the Nexus wifi connection.

It worked - both Direct and Automatic.
At this point I had both IGMP options disabled so I enabled both one at a time to try to find out exactly why it started to work. After each I rebooted the router and dis/reconnected the Nexus wifi connection.

Now I can't get it to break. It works in both Automatic and Direct mode with either or both of the IGMP options set either way.

I wish I could tell you why it didn't work at first. The thing that seems to have made a difference is the router re-boot but I'm not sure why.

Thanks for a great product and your support.

#15 2013-Dec-31 10:36 am

jimgfitzgerald

Rebooting everything is always a good thing to try regardless of the problem.

#16 2013-Dec-31 10:59 am

BrianBest
Website

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

Rebooting everything is always a good thing to try regardless of the problem.

Agreed - so I rebooted everything, Windows, Nexus, router, to make sure it was all straight. Now I can't connect again.
OK, so now I write down every keystroke.

#17 2013-Dec-31 12:54 pm

BrianBest
Website

It works, sorry for making a mess of the post but I believe the entire problem was in the router settings. There are three settings that I adjusted on the Verizon MI424WR router to get it working.

After signing in to the router all 3 settings are under Advanced:
1. Under Routing, Uncheck "Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)"
2. Under IGMP Proxy set "IGMP Proxy (Enable/Disable):" to Disable
3. Under IGMP Proxy under "Interface Multicast Filtering" Uncheck all 3 options

REBOOT the router! - this is also under the Advanced Tab

Other combinations of these switches may also work, but for me these are now working. I hope this helps.

#18 2013-Dec-31 2:57 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the update, Brian. I'm glad to hear that it's working now.

Cheers,
Mike

#19 2014-Jan-06 10:34 pm

AngelAndres

Thanks for the information, but I unfortunately am not quite as technically capable as BrianBest.  I have a comcast provided modem with a Lynksis router.  Does what you did work for that router and where do I find all of that IGMP stuff you talked about?

Thanks in advance!

-Angel

#20 2014-Feb-02 10:02 am

AngelAndres

I still can't get this to work properly. 

Basically, what happens for me is that it sticks every time.  I only get the initial location on my tablet and then it stays there.  No updating of the track.

Do you by chance have a more user friendly way of doing all that technical router stuff that everyone is talking about above?

Thanks in advance.

-Angel

#21 2014-Feb-02 3:11 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Angel,

Please download the new version of the FSX Connector app from http://www.naviatorapp.com/releases/NaviatorFSX.msi. Please also update your Naviator app to the latest version, which is 2.1.0.

The new version includes a "Direct Connect" option that should work with your router. If you are not sure what IP address to use, start Naviator and go to the Settings screen. The correct IP address will be listed under the Flight Simulator Connector option.

Cheers,
Mike

#22 2014-Mar-15 11:59 am

dmbottoms

Running Naviator 2.1.0 on an ASUS TF101 connected to an Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router. Running latest NaviatorFSX connector on a WIN 7 machine. NaviatorFSX runs and talks OK to MS FSX. Win7 machine is connected to the same network but is an ethernet connection. Win7 machine IP is 192.168.0.4 and the ASUS is 192.168.0.10.  Naviator will not connect. Tried both Auto and Direct connection, firewalls on and off, but still have NO GPS on Naviator.  Any suggestions? Do both machines have to be on the wireless router?

#23 2014-Mar-22 12:59 pm

cvearl

Fantastic! thanks for adding this. It makes learning a pleasure.

FSX users.... If you want the best of the best in VFR scenery with updated airports for FSX

http://fullterrain.com/

Coverage Map here -> http://fullterrain.com/locations.html#nanorthwest

Then features on the map match in the sim. If you would like it. Of course this is primarily... Southern Alberta and BC in Canada, Southern Alaska and the states of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and most of Northern California.

C.

Last edited by cvearl (2014-Mar-22 1:05 pm)

#24 2014-Mar-22 1:01 pm

cvearl

dmbottoms wrote:

Running Naviator 2.1.0 on an ASUS TF101 connected to an Apple AirPort Extreme wireless router. Running latest NaviatorFSX connector on a WIN 7 machine. NaviatorFSX runs and talks OK to MS FSX. Win7 machine is connected to the same network but is an ethernet connection. Win7 machine IP is 192.168.0.4 and the ASUS is 192.168.0.10.  Naviator will not connect. Tried both Auto and Direct connection, firewalls on and off, but still have NO GPS on Naviator.  Any suggestions? Do both machines have to be on the wireless router?

People that are not positive FSX is putting out via the right simmconnect IP and Port...

http://simconnectconfigtool.codeplex.com/

You can use that to tune FSX side of Simconnect.

C.

#25 2014-Mar-25 8:36 pm

dmbottoms

Tried running simconnect config tool. Very confusing. Seems to do nothing. Now when I try to connect via the FSX connector I get:
"Unable to connect to FSX: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component". Rebooting the respective machines does not change this result.

Board footer