Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-Nov-17 11:09 am

agibbs

Special Use Airspace: MOA RA WA

Please add MOAs, Restricted, and Warning areas as a selectable map layer feature. 

Now that RMS is out of business (leaving a couple thousand of us long-time customers with NO pathway to a moving map system for Android to take the place of EXPRESS), it looks like Naviator will become my primary VFR navigation solution.  Other than this one missing feature, Naviator will do the job for me.  Thanks for a great product.

Last edited by agibbs (2013-Dec-02 9:41 pm)

#2 2013-Nov-25 5:58 pm

JohnAJohnson

Re: Special Use Airspace: MOA RA WA

I second this.  The shot on the left keeps me out of R-2403A and R-2403B while the shot on the right, if trusted, could cost me my ticket smile

zv56.jpg

#3 2013-Nov-25 6:48 pm

jimgfitzgerald

Why not use the map on the left?  It's the official sectional chart?  What am I missing?

#4 2013-Nov-25 10:29 pm

slodders

What you are missing is being able to easily see information you really need as you pass through this busy airspace, due to all the densely packed and sometimes non-critical information (and often unfortunate blue font over a blue background) in the Sectional. Even staring at the Sectional at in the left panel in the comfort of my apartment, on a 23" screen, it looks like there is a VOR to the southeast of KLIT, but I can't see its name, frequency, or distance to. I'd imagine getting information about that VOR would be even a greater challenge in a sunlit airplane on a bouncy day.

Now, add flying in a south heading in Track-up mode, and good luck accurately finding what you need to see in an up-side-down very busy Sectional on a bright day when you are getting your butt kicked.

Being able to configure what I need to see (e.g., controlled airspace altitudes, airport and Navaid names and frequencies, distance to from my current position, Approach and Center frequencies for the sector I am in…maybe others), for the mission at hand, using the terrain view in the right panel as the base map, and data presented up-right regardless of whether I am flying north or not, is the way to go...with the option going to the Sectional view if I ever need it.

So, I third the motion.

#5 2013-Nov-25 10:39 pm

jimgfitzgerald

That makes sense.  I have never tried using anything but the sectionals and approach plates because I don't know the basis for any of the non-FAA approved charts and what they include and what they don't include.  I have never tried using the "track-up" feature because I like being able to read everything.  I guess it comes down to preferences and what you're used to.  Thanks.

#6 2013-Nov-26 10:59 am

JohnAJohnson

Jim, I do love having an official sectional on hand for flight planning and for getting maximum detail about the airspace.  But sectionals to me are difficult to electronically navigate by.  Way too cluttered - the critical can easily get overshadowed by the minutia.

#7 2013-Nov-27 8:41 pm

flyzone

I also prefer the digital map and agree the sectional is just too cluttered and not very readable in the heat of battle, particularly in track up mode. However the additional airspaces are really essential to make it useful. I'm used to flying with a yoke mounted GPS and do miss the simplicy and clarity of it for navigation. But we are getting closer with each new version.

Last edited by flyzone (2013-Nov-27 8:44 pm)

#8 2013-Dec-12 11:19 am

c cav

Shameless bump of this topic.  SUAs need to be a selectable layer to make Naviator usable as a primary GPS.  As of right now, it is not.  Having to fly around with a paper sectional kind of defeats the purpose.  Is this being worked on?

#9 2013-Dec-12 11:22 am

jimgfitzgerald

I just have to post this to totally disagree.  The airspace in question is clearly depicted on the sectional charts included in Naviator.

#10 2013-Dec-12 11:44 am

agibbs

Even Garmin thinks this way.  I downloaded Garmin Pilot for Android thinking a big company like that would have a clear base map product with layers for airspace, weather, etc.  But what a disappointment--just the charts.

My flying involves a lot of cross-country to places I have never been before.  And while I use charts on the ground to plan my trips and learn about what I have to deal with along the way, I actually USE a tablet in flight.  I want a clear no-nonsense uncluttered display so I can spend most of my time looking out the window.  RMS used to be top dog with Express, but now they're gone.  Naviator has the best chance of taking that spot, all it needs is the vector-graphic Special Use Airspace layer.

#11 2013-Dec-12 12:31 pm

c cav

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

I just have to post this to totally disagree.  The airspace in question is clearly depicted on the sectional charts included in Naviator.

So, you don't want Naviator to offer this as a selectable layer?  Why on earth would you disagree?  The point was made earlier:  The sectional is simply too cluttered with non-selectable, extraneous depictions to be useful.  Add in that SUA altitudes are not on the screen - you have to search for them.  With your line of thinking, why does Naviator (and every single other maker of aviation apps) offer a "base screen" WITH selectable airspace layers?

You will still be able to fly around with the sectional chart up on your screen.....the rest of us won't have to.

Naviator is behind the competition by not having this.  I am suggesting - IN THE SUGGESTION SECTION - that they fix it.

Last edited by c cav (2013-Dec-12 12:32 pm)

#12 2013-Dec-12 1:02 pm

jimgfitzgerald

c cav wrote:

SUAs need to be a selectable layer to make Naviator usable as a primary GPS.  As of right now, it is not.

I'm disagreeing with this statement, not your suggestion.  To say Naviator is not usable as a primary GPS without your suggestion is simply wrong.  It might unfairly discourage someone from trying Naviator. (Of course don't forget the disclaimer we all agree to everytime we use Naviator).

Last edited by jimgfitzgerald (2013-Dec-12 2:16 pm)

#13 2013-Dec-12 3:07 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

A special use airspace map layer is on the "to do" list for new features to be added to the app. Your voices have been heard. smile

Cheers,
Mike

#14 2013-Dec-12 3:54 pm

jimgfitzgerald

Mike, would the data source for the SUA be an official FAA approved database?  How precise is the placement of an overlay?

#15 2013-Dec-12 4:09 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

jimgfitzgerald wrote:

Mike, would the data source for the SUA be an official FAA approved database?  How precise is the placement of an overlay?

Yes, the data is from an FAA database. The FAA controls the data, so the accuracy of the overlays depends on them. Naviator simply draws the overlay at the coordinates provided by the FAA. In any case it's a good idea to leave some distance between your aircraft and restricted airspace boundaries, due to potential inaccuracies with the consumer grade GPS receivers most of us are using.

#16 2013-Dec-12 4:35 pm

jimgfitzgerald

I know there could be some error as to our location versus the map we're using, but I figured an overlay might introduce another source of error in relation to the map.

#17 2013-Dec-13 10:43 am

flyzone

I suspect that after we get the additional airspaces we will be clamoring for obstruction alerts next.

I must say that after the latest two releases this app has moved from interesting but unstable to necessary and functional earning permanent placement on my yoke. Looking forward to the next release but getting it right is even more important so I'll try to be patient smile

#18 2013-Dec-13 10:48 am

jimgfitzgerald

I think Naviator is a great app and Mike continues to improve it.  I realize how we use it is personal choice, but I always use the official FAA sectionals, low altitude charts, and approach plates.  That's because I have no way of knowing what important feature may not show up on anything else.

#19 2013-Dec-25 6:17 pm

jtheune

Will the layer include the vertical boundaries?

#20 2013-Dec-28 7:58 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Yes, vertical boundaries will be included.

Cheers,
Mike

#21 2014-Jun-07 5:34 am

regdowdall

is mike still working on this?

#22 2014-Jun-12 12:38 am

lwojcik

I hope so.  It's all that is really missing for flight planning.  I flight plan GPS direct point to point - only use the VORs and airways if I'm IFR.  Climb up to 13500 or so (depending on direction of course) , couple the GPS to the autopilot and go.  If I know where the restricted airspace is, I can load in a few user waypoints so as to avoid it.  Out here in the west a typical xcountry is 500 to 800 miles with maybe 1 fuel stop.  Direct is important.

So, Please - any update on special use airspace for vector charts?

#23 2014-Jul-04 5:24 am

mr.jadkowski

I've also been hoping this would come out in a near-term update; I think flying with the vector map is much more user-friendly than the sectional, as long as you're able to select the data that you need and deselect what you don't.  For my purposes at least, the only thing that is missing is the SUA.

#24 2014-Jul-16 12:26 pm

chupuk

Second that Emotion.  Just signed up after wringing all I could get out of Garmin Pilot, which is not bad but missing many important features.  One it has that Naviator  does not is the ability to graphically hover over an Airspace (Special Use or just normal) and quickly find out vertical limits, conditions etc.   Sure, I know its possible to find the border on the Sectional and discover the details but what a distraction.  Please add this feature and you'll really have a winner. 

Oh, forgot,  It would be real nice to be able to change the color and line weight of the Track.  It is very hard to see on all except the Base map. 

Thanks for a great App.

#25 2014-Jul-20 9:10 am

agibbs

Come on...Almost a year later and STILL no Special Use Airspace on the vector base map?  I'm moving to iFly GPS for Android. I'll miss some of the nice features of Naviator, but I just can't wait any longer.  Sorry.

Board footer