Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.0 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-Aug-06 6:53 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.8.3

Naviator version 1.8.3 is now available in Google Play. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

New in this version:

• Added support for the iLevil AW and SW ADS-B receivers.

• Added a Primary Flight Display (PFD) screen. Note: Requires a compatible AHRS such as the iLevil ADS-B receiver.

• Various other minor bug fixes and general improvements.

n7_pfd.png

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2013-Aug-07 7:04 am

aelliott
Website

Re: Naviator 1.8.3

Many tablets, and especially the Nexus 7, have high quality 3-axis accelerometers and gyros inside.  Using the app "Flight Instruments" ($5) on my console-mounted Nexus 7, I found the horizon and data to be indistinguishable from the one in the panel-mounted EFIS, even during maneuvering.  While this is not an option for folks who leg- or yoke-mount their tablets, there ought to be a way to use the data from the internal sensors just like the stuff coming from iLevil at nearly zero cost, I think.  Even a working arrangement with BBFlight LLC to display that app in a split screen should be very low cost, considering the stand-alone price is $5. 

Andy Elliott

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.0, RPi3 w/stratux v1.4r4

#3 2013-Aug-07 2:00 pm

flyzone

Though we all like toys (... a lot, else we wouldn't be flying), this upgrade is just and mostly that. It looks like a cool feature but I'll never use it since I don't have an iLevil and probably wouldn't anyway unless I was totally bored on a long trip. I'd sure like to see more fundamental flight and usability improvements like additional airspaces, app speed, response, readability and reliability improvements. Perhaps the bug fixes qualify for some of that. Not as sexy I suppose but that's just my 2 cents.

#4 2013-Aug-07 2:45 pm

kloudking1

If it was mounted on the panel front and center it would be cool, but I use my tablet on a leg mount. I would like to get rid of the vacuum pump and gyros and put a Dynon pocket panel on the panel (I'm VFR only). Would save 12 pounds that way. Ilevil is cheaper than a Dynon pocket panel if I mounted my tablet on the panel and I would have ads-b also.

I still get the airplane icon missing syndrome every now and then and I would like to see that fixed. I've dumped all other apps and use Naviator exclusively.

#5 2013-Aug-07 3:02 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

flyzone wrote:

Though we all like toys (... a lot, else we wouldn't be flying), this upgrade is just and mostly that. It looks like a cool feature but I'll never use it since I don't have an iLevil and probably wouldn't anyway unless I was totally bored on a long trip. I'd sure like to see more fundamental flight and usability improvements like additional airspaces, app speed, response, readability and reliability improvements. Perhaps the bug fixes qualify for some of that. Not as sexy I suppose but that's just my 2 cents.

This update was pushed ahead of schedule to coincide with EAA AirVenture (Levil Technology wanted to demo Naviator in their booth). The next major update will be more in line with what you have mentioned above.

Cheers,
Mike

#6 2013-Aug-09 5:54 pm

flyzone

OK, Thanks, Mike. I am not second guessing your need to market your product as you see fit. As just one user I want you to know my own lowly priorities. I look forward to the next release.

Thanks again.

#7 2013-Oct-14 2:52 pm

slodders

Has anyone been using iLevil with Naviator, and how is it working (stable, etc.)? This would be good to know before sinking $1,000+.

Thanks,

Dave

#8 2013-Oct-21 4:12 am

sdhall

Mike, what about aelliott's suggestion of using 3-axis accelerometers and gyros inside the tablet to drive the pfd? Does this already work? assuming the tablet is mounted upright.
thanks
Sanjay

Last edited by sdhall (2013-Oct-21 4:12 am)

Board footer