Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-Aug-02 5:58 pm

bjulien

Canadian vfr maps

I was wandering if you have any intention to make canadian vfr maps available.
NAv Canada has provided them to ForeFlight so they are available.

Thank you.

#2 2014-Aug-20 9:20 pm

dweinkam

Re: Canadian vfr maps

Any update on this?  I just got back from a trip through Washington and Idaho. Naviator was great for working my way through the forest fire TFRs.  I would love to have the Canadian charts for flying around the at home in BC.

#3 2014-Dec-30 2:53 pm

Kootenayjoe

A great free Canadian solution for VFR charts is FltPlan. Go to their website,   http://www.fltplan.com/   get the app, then go to the download tab and download the VFR Charts for your area. There you can also download the TAC's, Approach Charts and best of off all the complete Canada Flight Supplement. All for free and completely legal...
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4.   I open up both the Naviator and FltPlan apps and can then just toggle between the two with one click. Great combo that works very slick.
FltPlan works also for VFR flight planning, but it is more geared towards IFR. I prefer Naviator's flight planning.

#4 2015-Feb-13 8:36 am

IanCoull

Hi Mike. As a Canadian pilot I am looking for the best base maps north of the 49th parallel.  I 'hear' that Nav Canada is working on a digital version of the VNC charts.  Would that development prompt your inclusion of Canadian VNC's and all the airspace related bells and whistles that should be possible? And if so, is there any realistic estimate of when that might occur? I realize our market is a small one, but I for one would gladly pay the equivalent of the US subscription rates for such an enhanced product.

#5 2016-May-05 1:55 pm

grtbluyonder

It would seem that Naviator has given up on ever getting Canadian VNC charts.   Their attitude, "i don't wanna talk aboud it".     So if you need north of the 49th from Manitoba to Vancouver you can go with the awkward but marginally adequate Fltpln GO or Foreflight or Garmin.  iFly like Naviator has given up as well. Too bad but it's over to iPad for anything thorough.

#6 2016-May-05 2:01 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

"I don't wanna talk aboud it" is not really the attitude I've taken on this issue. I'm pretty sure I've responded to this question elsewhere, and anyone who has taken the time to email us has also received a response. I'm not sure if you're aware, but we are a Canadian company and would love to have Nav Canada charts in our app. Unfortunately the licensing fees and other requirements imposed by Nav Canada for us to do this are simply unfeasible. I hope they will loosen up their control of our aeronautical data at some point in the future, but unless that happens we won't be able to offer Canadian charts. There is a reason only the "big guys" offer these charts today, and it's not because the small guys don't want to...

Cheers,
Mike

#7 2016-Aug-04 9:41 am

evannadeau

Hi Mike.  I'm just digging into this app, and most likely with pay the VERY reasonable $15 unlock fee for use in Canada.  Like others, I would be very interested in having the CFS as well as VFR charts.  Is there any way of there being a Canadian subscription to get these charts?

Board footer