Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.0 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-May-20 5:34 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.7.1

Naviator version 1.7.1 is now available in Google Play. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

Changes in version 1.7.1:

• Important bug fixes.

Changes in version 1.7.0:

• Introducing a new global high-detail VFR base map featuring terrain, rivers, lakes, roads, railways, power lines, cities & towns.

• The base map requires an internet connection by default, but you can download areas for offline use by tapping Get Data --> Global --> Base Maps.

Portland, OR:
vfr_basemap_sm.png

Farnborough, England:
vfr_basemap3_sm.png

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2013-May-20 6:46 pm

jimgfitzgerald

Re: Naviator 1.7.1

So, if we don't have a need for this map, should we install 1.7.0 or stay with the previous version?

#3 2013-May-20 10:03 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Jim,

It's generally a good idea to keep up with the latest versions, but in this case the base map is the main difference from version 1.6 so it's up to you.

Cheers,
Mike

#4 2013-May-21 7:27 am

jimgfitzgerald

OK, I see how this works.  Pretty cool.  When I get home, I'll download a section for where I live and give it a try.  Thanks Mike.

#5 2013-May-21 8:18 pm

flyzone

The new basemap is very attractive and has a good deal of detail. (It might even be a good marketing enhancement.) I'm not really sure how helpful it will be for my flying but if I can use it most of the time instead of the sectional, I'm happier. It does seem to take a good bit more horsepower to load and hopefully this doesn't compete for cycles with the rest of the app or impact on app reliability - which does need a bit of work. While initially using it I got bumped out to the Fly menu several times. That may have abated some after my initial use but we will see.

I had to "learn" what 400,000 sq. miles was by trial and error. Of course it would be more convenient to scribe a rectangle of the area to load but I guess I'd rather not add to app overhead. Maybe this could be done outside the map. BTW: 400K sq. miles is about 1/9th the size of the U.S. or 4x the size of Colorado. I'd rather load about 1/3 of the US in and not have to worry about it anymore. The trouble is my flying rectangles soak up a good deal of Atlantic water so I really only get about half the 400K in land mass.

I believe the pinch zoom might be working a bit better on this map as well - or is that just that my fingers lost weight.

I did note on some close in views that my route did not appear (terminal end of my route). Rezooming brought it back.

Will we get notifications on changes to the basemap?

Board footer