Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.0 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2013-Apr-01 12:59 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.6.0

Naviator version 1.6.0 is now available in Google Play. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

Changes in this version include:

• Introducing the Global Forecast Engine. The Global Forecast Engine provides a winds aloft forecast anywhere on the planet, up to two days in advance. The forecast is updated four times daily and is available for altitudes up to 54,000 feet.

• Added an Altitude Optimizer screen. The Altitude Optimizer makes it easy to determine a cruising altitude for your route of flight based on the winds aloft forecast at your departure time.

Global Forecast Engine (winds aloft):
You can view the winds aloft forecast from the following places within the app:

• By long-tapping anywhere on the map screen

• By tapping an airport on the map

• On the details screen for an airport

winds%20aloft_sm.png

Altitude Optimizer:

• The Altitude Optimizer is accessible from the Active Route screen

altitude%20optimizer_sm.png

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2013-Apr-02 12:44 pm

pseizinger

Re: Naviator 1.6.0

Mike,

Great update. I think this will be very useful. One thing I did notice though. If you go into Fly->View Map, then tap the right or left arrow to move to the Flight Plan page, then tap menu the menu options seem to be repeated at the bottom of the menu starting with "Add Waypoint".

Phil

#3 2013-Apr-02 3:02 pm

bkspero

Nice update, Mile.  Would you explain more about what the optimizer is doing?  Specifically, if I have a convoluted flightplan that zig-zags back and forth, does the optimizer calculate groundspeeds for each leg at each altitude, then sum the result and select the minimum?  Or does it do a single calculation for the direct route at each aptitude and select the minimum from that approximation?  Or something else?

#4 2013-Apr-02 3:35 pm

rotrhead

Sweet update !
Thanks Mike

#5 2013-Apr-02 7:07 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

The Altitude Optimizer determines the headwind component for each leg of your route, and then uses a weighted average to calculate the "total" headwind component for the entire route. This process is repeated for every altitude in 1,000 foot increments. When the process is finished the altitude with the lowest total headwind component is highlighted in green.

Cheers,
Mike

#6 2013-Apr-03 1:50 pm

flyzone

Very nice.

A future enhancement to this would be to be able to drill down on a specific altitude to show your flight plan with each leg showing the calculated values so altitude refinements could be made.

This would be of particular value on my longest and most complex flights, one of which is an all day transit in my Cherokee from Pa. to Florida (one stop). Does the calc take into consideration the changing winds/forecasts as progress is made throughout the flight day using predicted winds and time over a specific leg?

Edit: I think I just found the answer by rereading the update notes "... winds at departure time ..."

Last edited by flyzone (2013-Apr-03 1:53 pm)

#7 2013-Apr-03 2:21 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

flyzone wrote:

A future enhancement to this would be to be able to drill down on a specific altitude to show your flight plan with each leg showing the calculated values so altitude refinements could be made.
Does the calc take into consideration the changing winds/forecasts as progress is made throughout the flight day using predicted winds and time over a specific leg?

I'm planning some enhancements that will include both of the above points, but in this version the optimizer only uses the winds aloft at your departure time.

Cheers,
Mike

#8 2013-Apr-05 11:46 am

cverbil

Excellent feature Mike, thanks.   Now of course this winds aloft optimizer function begs some feature creep, so that the aircraft's increase in TAS as altitude increases, is reflected in the wind calculation ETE/fuel results.  Without having a performance table for a specific model aircraft, perhaps applying the basic rule of thumb for TAS of 2% increase for every 1000' of altitude, might be a reasonable thing to do.

I do realize that it's hard to make a one-size-fits-all solution, but absent performance tables for each type of aircraft or a rule-of-thumb algorithm, well then this is still a pretty handy feature as is...so thanks again.

#9 2013-Apr-20 8:38 am

JWR618

Mike,

Thank you for the program update!

I like the added winds aloft feature.  After the long press on the map to get the winds aloft, is there a way to show the winds at a future time instead of the current time?

For the altitude optimizer, I think the program will need the ability for the user to input different performances at different altitudes.  (Kind of like what was suggested above.)  An example would be say I was flying and the headwind was increasing with altitude.  Which would be the better altitude: flying at 40k with better aircraft performance with regards to TAS and fuel flow but with lots of headwind, or flying at 20k with a less favorable TAS and fuel flow but a less headwind.

Thank you again for the constant improvements!
James

#10 2013-Apr-24 10:24 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

JWR618 wrote:

I like the added winds aloft feature.  After the long press on the map to get the winds aloft, is there a way to show the winds at a future time instead of the current time?

If you tap the little "clock" icon in the top-right corner of the winds aloft popup you can display the forecast winds for some other time in the future.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 2013-May-07 5:46 pm

JWR618

Mike wrote:
JWR618 wrote:

If you tap the little "clock" icon in the top-right corner of the winds aloft popup you can display the forecast winds for some other time in the future.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks Mike!

Board footer