Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2012-Jan-17 9:33 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.2

Naviator 1.2 is now available in the Android Market. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

I am personally very excited about this release. A lot of customers have been asking when geo-referenced approach plates will be available in Naviator. Well, I can finally say "now"! Beginning with this version, Naviator now supports geo-referenced approach plates and airport diagrams! This feature is made possible through our partnership with Seattle Avionics.

The geo-referencing feature is powered by Seattle Avionics' ChartData. In order to use ChartData within Naviator an additional subscription is required. ChartData subscriptions are currently priced at $75 per year and are available directly from Seattle Avionics at http://www.seattleavionics.com/naviator.

Changes in this version include:

• Geo-referenced approach plates and airport diagrams.

• A night mode that allows the screen to be dimmed much darker than normally allowed by the Android system. A red filter can optionally be applied to the screen to further enhance your night vision.

• Added the ability to invert the colors of the terminal procedure charts (i.e. white becomes black, black becomes white, etc.). This makes the charts easier to read in the dark.

• Various bug fixes.

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2012-Jan-18 10:16 am

bfmetcalf

Re: Naviator 1.2

Awesome job.  You are doing an awesome job on this!

#3 2012-Jan-18 10:35 am

plane_crazy

I am running Naviator on a Barnes & Noble Nook in a yoke mount in my C150. The problem I have is that because the screen orientation is controlled by the device accelerometer, every time I turn the yoke the screen orientation changes. This is most distracting. Is there some way in Naviator to lock the screen from rotating? I can stop it from rotating from the settings menu but then I am left with the default landscape mode with the home button on the bottom. I would like to be able to run in landscape with the home button on the top due to bluetooth antenna issues with the Nook.

Edit:   just updated to 1.2 and was checking it out. Right there on the menu in the map screen is this button that says "Lock screen". WOW am I impressed! The speed with which you will please your customers is amazing!    Really though, not sure if it was there in the previous version. If so  guess I missed it big time. If it wasn't then thanks a bunch.

Last edited by plane_crazy (2012-Jan-18 11:07 am)

Bruce Bennett
C150     C-FBJS
Sussex, NB, Canada

#4 2012-Jan-19 2:43 am

exfed2002

Mike wrote:

The geo-referencing feature is powered by Seattle Avionics' ChartData. In order to use ChartData within Naviator an additional subscription is required. ChartData subscriptions are currently priced at $75 per year and are available directly from Seattle Avionics

Mike,

This looks great.  If I go up this afternoon, I will try it out.

Will it be possible to coordinate our subscriptions between you and Seattle Avionics at some point in the future?

Should I not decide to go with the geo-referenced charts, will the non geo-referenced charts still be available?

Last edited by exfed2002 (2012-Jan-19 9:53 am)

#5 2012-Jan-19 6:28 am

midlifeflyer

Congratulations on a major step up for an Android-based EFB app!

#6 2012-Jan-19 11:01 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

exfed2002 wrote:

Will it be possible to coordinate our subscriptions between you and Seattle Avionics at some point in the future?

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Do you mean coordinate the subscriptions so that they expire on the same day?

exfed2002 wrote:

Should I not decide to go with the geo-referenced charts, will the non geo-referenced charts still be available?

Absolutely. The non geo-referenced charts will always be available as long as you have a regular Naviator subscription.

Cheers,
Mike

#7 2012-Jan-19 11:02 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

midlifeflyer wrote:

Congratulations on a major step up for an Android-based EFB app!

Thanks midlifeflyer!

Cheers,
Mike

#8 2012-Jan-19 4:18 pm

Challenged

Awesome! I've been waiting for this feature since I first installed Naviator; it works great on my Asus Transformer tablet. Unfortunately, Naviator seems to crash when starting now when using my HTC Nexus One with Android version 2.3.6

#9 2012-Jan-19 4:25 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Challenged wrote:

Awesome! I've been waiting for this feature since I first installed Naviator; it works great on my Asus Transformer tablet. Unfortunately, Naviator seems to crash when starting now when using my HTC Nexus One with Android version 2.3.6

There seems to have been an issue caused by the upgrade. If you uninstall the app from your Nexus One and then re-install it from the Android Market it should resolve this issue.

Cheers,
Mike

#10 2012-Jan-19 4:27 pm

exfed2002

Mike wrote:

I'm not sure I fully understand the question. Do you mean coordinate the subscriptions so that they expire on the same day?

Exactly, that would make subscription management a bit easier.

Right now I am stil playing with Naviator mostly on the ground so I clan learn to use it efficiently.  I did take it up this afternoon and I am very pleased with the changes, but I know I need ground practice before I feel comfortable to work it in flight.

I also have to work out GPS puck connect issues before loading Naviator, but again, it's just a matter of practice.

#11 2012-Jan-19 5:08 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

exfed2002 wrote:

Exactly, that would make subscription management a bit easier.

I can arrange this if you would like. Just send me an email and we can work out the details.

Cheers,
Mike

#12 2012-Jan-19 5:30 pm

Challenged

Mike wrote:
Challenged wrote:

There seems to have been an issue caused by the upgrade. If you uninstall the app from your Nexus One and then re-install it from the Android Market it should resolve this issue.

Cheers,
Mike

This solution worked perfectly, thanks again!

#13 2012-Jan-20 8:17 am

jmoore

Nice update!  This is what android has been missing.  At my flight school (KSU) its pretty much mandatory for students to have ipad+foreflight.  I'm happy with this update cause I can do just about everything that combo can do now with my Ideapad+naviator!  Been showing off the app to other students who haven't jumped on the ipad+foreflight bandwagon.

#14 2012-Jan-20 10:57 am

Razorseal

any comment/feedback about the gentleman that mentioned how the screen keeps flipping and it woid be much easier of we could lock the app only so nothing ese is affected?

Last edited by Razorseal (2012-Jan-20 10:58 am)

#15 2012-Jan-20 10:22 pm

timsale

Mike,

If we buy the Geo Referenced Approach data from Seattle Av,  Do the automatic data updates
work the same as before or do we need to do something different to update the approach plates ??

Tim

#16 2012-Jan-21 11:19 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Razorseal wrote:

any comment/feedback about the gentleman that mentioned how the screen keeps flipping and it woid be much easier of we could lock the app only so nothing ese is affected?

Hi Razorseal,

Plane_crazy mentioned that the "Lock Screen" feature solved his problem. Have you tried using that feature? Most devices are also able to disable automatic screen rotation from the Android settings screen, so that might be an option for you too.

Cheers,
Mike

#17 2012-Jan-21 11:20 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

timsale wrote:

If we buy the Geo Referenced Approach data from Seattle Av,  Do the automatic data updates
work the same as before or do we need to do something different to update the approach plates ??
Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, the updates stay exactly the same as before.

Cheers,
Mike

#18 2012-Jan-23 2:45 pm

lyndonchappell

Thanks Mike. Great work.

#19 2012-Feb-16 8:59 pm

dbarrington1

So if i get the Seatle Avionics Geo referanced chars.....  can I use them for IFR?  Will that negate that VFR only acknowledgement at start up... I also have Wing X and I am evaluating to see which one i will get the Geo Charts with.  I like the setup of Naviator beter and the VFR sectionals.... But I need a IFR approved chart supplier before I start my IFR in about 2 weeks.

Thanks
Derek

#20 2012-Feb-16 9:34 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Yes, you can use Naviator while flying IFR as an aid to situational awareness, just like any other handheld GPS system. You cannot use it as your primary method of navigation, again just like any other handheld GPS system. WingX also uses Seattle Avionics' ChartData for their geo-referenced approach plates so there is really no difference from Naviator in this respect.

Cheers,
Mike

#21 2012-Feb-18 9:10 am

FlyboyLDB

I think the question is can we use the IFR charts from SA as a substitute for paper charts? Even though they are GEO referenced?

#22 2012-Feb-18 10:17 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

FlyboyLDB wrote:

I think the question is can we use the IFR charts from SA as a substitute for paper charts? Even though they are GEO referenced?

Yes you can, under Part 91 rules.

Cheers,
Mike

#23 2012-Feb-19 7:08 am

midlifeflyer

FlyboyLDB wrote:

Assuming plain vanilla Part 91, why would you think you couldn't use charts on a device in place of the paper charts that you aren't required to have to begin with?

If you do want to review the FAA references for this, try http://tinyurl.com/3pcug22

Last edited by midlifeflyer (2012-Feb-19 7:09 am)

#24 2012-Feb-20 9:15 am

FlyboyLDB

midlifeflyer wrote:
FlyboyLDB wrote:

Assuming plain vanilla Part 91, why would you think you couldn't use charts on a device in place of the paper charts that you aren't required to have to begin with?

If you do want to review the FAA references for this, try http://tinyurl.com/3pcug22

First of all I was clarifying the question – not asking the question. I figured that since the question was posed to a specific person, I would allow that respective person to answer – rather than I touting my knowledge, or lack of, about the regs. But thanks for taking time out of your day in an attempt to set me on the right track.

#25 2012-Feb-21 1:07 pm

jnmarshall

To dbarrington1's question as he indicated he is starting IFR in 2 weeks, I guess he means a class? In which case he needs to ask this question of 1) his instructor and b) the examiner. Many still require the printed materials, especially on a checkride. A good argument is "what if the device or batteries fail"? My examiner required the FAA printed charts and I was warned before hand if I didn't have a set to get them and organize them or reschedule the checkride.

Last edited by jnmarshall (2012-Feb-21 1:07 pm)

Board footer