Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2011-May-09 12:55 pm

Skyhog

Data Size

I'm trying to decide what size Tablet to buy, and want to know how much space the entire dataset will consume for this app.

Any ideas?

#2 2011-May-09 1:03 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: Data Size

Hello Skyhog. The entire dataset is roughly 6.5 to 7 GB.

Cheers,
Mike

#3 2011-May-09 7:58 pm

Skyhog

How much without Alaska though?  If that brings it below 4GB, I think the 16GB Asus Eee Pad would do the trick.

#4 2011-May-09 8:40 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

All the VFR and IFR charts, excluding Alaska, are about 5GB.

#5 2011-Jun-12 9:19 pm

elite18

Skyhog wrote:

How much without Alaska though?  If that brings it below 4GB, I think the 16GB Asus Eee Pad would do the trick.

Good morning Skyhog,

So have you tried Naviator on your Asus Transformer in the air...and how long can the battery last ?

Thank you.

#6 2011-Jun-13 10:37 am

perigee

I have an Asus Transformer and have flown with it using Naviator.  I haven't flown more than 1.5 hours with it yet, but it seems to do a good job.  The last time I flew, I had a full charge in the morning when I left my house.  I had left my TF in my car for about 7 hours on standby before going flying.  Note, in "standby" it was actively searching for wifi signals, etc, the entire time.  I think it had about 91% battery left when I turned on Naviator to go flying.  After about 2 hours worth of continual use (screen, GPS on the entire time, panning, using Naviator), it had about 60% left on the battery.  We never put the device in standby while flying, the screen and GPS were on the entire time.  Also I should note the screen was set to maximum brightness.

I did not disable wifi while flying either, so it was still searching.  I could probably stretch the battery even more by disabling wifi in flight.  I could probably also press the power button to turn off the screen while I'm not actively looking at it.  That would probably seriously extend the battery life.

Last edited by perigee (2011-Jun-13 10:37 am)

#7 2011-Jun-13 6:39 pm

eljeffe991

Is it possible to download the next cyle of data (charts and plates) before it becomes effective? I know the FAA makes them available around a week prior. Occasionally I fly across the changeover date and need both available. If so, I imagine this would nearly double the dataset size (minus sectionals) for the short period of time that you have both sets on the device. If you could make it possible to save to the SD card for devices like the transformer or xoom, this would help greatly. 16GB cards are relatively cheap.

#8 2011-Jun-13 7:20 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi eljeffe991,

We usually try to make the next cycle of data available at least a few days before the changeover date. It's not possible to have more than one version of the navaid database installed at the same time, but you can have multiple versions of the charts installed.

Cheers,
Mike

#9 2011-Jun-16 1:43 am

elite18

perigee wrote:

I have an Asus Transformer and have flown with it using Naviator.  I haven't flown more than 1.5 hours with it yet, but it seems to do a good job.  The last time I flew, I had a full charge in the morning when I left my house.  I had left my TF in my car for about 7 hours on standby before going flying.  Note, in "standby" it was actively searching for wifi signals, etc, the entire time.  I think it had about 91% battery left when I turned on Naviator to go flying.  After about 2 hours worth of continual use (screen, GPS on the entire time, panning, using Naviator), it had about 60% left on the battery.  We never put the device in standby while flying, the screen and GPS were on the entire time.  Also I should note the screen was set to maximum brightness.

I did not disable wifi while flying either, so it was still searching.  I could probably stretch the battery even more by disabling wifi in flight.  I could probably also press the power button to turn off the screen while I'm not actively looking at it.  That would probably seriously extend the battery life.

Thanks for the info Perigee...much appreciated : )

#10 2011-Nov-05 3:24 pm

GregW

I have two ASUS's, one factory OS and the other rooted, which makes it faster and provides a few other features.  However, on ver. 1.6 beta I could not get the GPS to lock in on the rooted one.  I can use a satellite view to see 6-7 satellites, but it is unable to obtain a fix.  An android car navigator on the ASUS seemed to work last time I tried it on the highway, but I have not tried it since the ASUS GPS failed in the airplane.  Even on the factory OS unit, the GPS is intermittent while navigating with Naviator vers. 1.6.  Has anyone had trouble with the GPS going in-and-out on the ASUS?  Is there something I need to do to prevent that, or to enhance its ability to get a fix?  At the same time we were running the two ASUS on a two hour cross country, we had ForeFlight on an iPad, and vers. 1.5 Naviator running on my EVO-4G cell phone, both of which worked fine.

#11 2012-Jul-31 4:58 pm

flyinghighhorn

I use an a ASUS Transformer TF 300 and my GPS was not stable in the air either. I strongly recommend purchasing a Bluetooth GPS. I bought a BT 368 off of ebay for $30 and I couldn't be happier.  It is very accurate with long battery life. Incidentally, my longest flight with the transformer/bt368 has been just a little over 5 hours. Never worried about battery life. My flight back home I experimented with a 12 volt inverter with the stock charger. all worked perfectly. Best of luck to you.  Love naviator!

Board footer