Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2018-Feb-24 11:58 am

bkspero

No METARs today (2/24/2018)

Not getting any display on the METAR display layer.  Nor does tapping on an airport known to have a METAR bring up an option to display the METAR.  Tapping on such an airport (KTTN or KWRI, as examples) and selecting "Details', "WX" brings up the weather dialog box, but the METAR tab is blank.  The TAF tab is populated.  Help.

#2 2018-Feb-24 12:32 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: No METARs today (2/24/2018)

Thanks for reporting this. It looks like the NWS has made a minor change to their web server (they are now redirecting all HTTP traffic to HTTPS) which unfortunately broke Naviator. I'll have to release an app update in order to resolve the problem. I'll be working on that this afternoon.

#3 2018-Mar-22 7:54 am

JWO

Was there a correction made for this issue? I am not showing any METARs, when connected to the Internet, on my Samsung Tab 4, but they do show on my Samsung S5 phone. Both are on 3.9.0 software. On the Tab 4 if I select an airport and go to the weather tab, there is no METAR data, but there is TAF data. I haven't checked this on my ADS-B receiver since Sunday, 3/18. I think it was working then, but could be mistaken as I was using also another device at the time as well as flying the plane.

#4 2018-Mar-22 9:21 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Yes, an update was released to correct this issue.

Do the METARs display when you go to Settings --> Weather and TFRs and then tap 'Update Weather Now'? Also, double-check that the 'METAR Update Frequency' setting is not set to 'Never'.

Cheers,
Mike

#5 2018-Mar-23 6:55 am

JWO

The METAR Update Freq. was checked, it's at 15 min. and I tried the Update Weather Now function previously, it didn't make any difference. I just started Naviator on both my S5 phone and Tab 4. Used the Update Weather Now function on both. METARs appeared on the phone, but still not on the tablet.

I then checked the software release numbers on the phone compared to the tablet. Phone is at 3.9.1, tablet was at 3.9.0. Manually updated it to 3.9.1, rebooted the tablet, and the METARs now appear. Not sure why the tablet didn't automatically update to the newest version. Will have to watch that in the future.

Sorry for the false alarm and thanks a bunch for the help...

BTW, I love Naviator. It's an extremely useful while flying, and having it on the phone for a backup is very handy. I display ADS-B on both and have the traffic warnings blue-toothed into my headset.

I also carry a second windows tablet running Jeppesen's old Flight Deck software. This is primarily to display XM weather. I don't really trust ADS-B weather, I've seen it disappear too many times while flying, once on a dark stormy night while trying to avoid embedded TS. That one flight really proved to me ADS-B can't be trusted. The XM also provides much better granularity in the weather depictions, making it more useful for deviating around weather. Really would be nice to be able to display XM on Naviator.

Thanks Again,
Jerry

Board footer