Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2017-Dec-07 11:48 am

sdtigerpilot

Chart cycle day issue?

I've had an issue with approach plates on chart cycle days and had the time to look into it more today.  On both my devices (Naviator 3.9.0 on Samsung Galaxy S4, Naviator 3.8.4 on Galaxy Tab 3), on the expiration day of approach plates (e.g. today), I find myself in a situation where Naviator indicates "Data valid until Dec 07, 2017"  If I try to download updates, it says "No updates available"  However, if I pick an airport and bring up the approach plate list, they are all unavailable (orange background).  Selecting a chart downloads that single chart (on the new cycle expiring Jan 4).  Going back to Select Data, I can confirm that I have my state checked.  Unselecting and reselecting it doesn't help, so for today, it appears my only option is to individually pull the charts I need.

I've been caught at the airport without plates because of this in the past, and had to resort to paper backups.  I believe it fixes itself the next day.  Has anyone else encountered this, and have any suggestions on how to kick the new approach plates into submission?

Thanks!

#2 2017-Dec-07 7:54 pm

bkspero

Re: Chart cycle day issue?

I just updated and the "Data Valid" date is Jan 04, 2018

#3 2017-Dec-07 10:34 pm

sdtigerpilot

Re: Chart cycle day issue?

Yep, it looks like while I updated some charts last night, some of the plates didn't come out as updates until this afternoon.  This may have been the situation I ran into in the past as well, where I find I'm chartless on an AM IFR flight because the old ones become inaccessible and the new ones didn't actually update.

It would be nice if the expired approach plates could still be displayed with some sort of EXPIRED marking, because being left chartless is even more useless than a possibly invalid chart - it's most likely the case that the approach hasn't been changed and the chart can still be used in a pinch.

Last edited by sdtigerpilot (2017-Dec-07 10:38 pm)

Board footer