Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2017-Jul-24 10:37 pm

ctetlow

Naviator problems working with Stratux

Problems started last fall, occasionally not getting GPS data from Stratux device.  But most of the time - the traffic and weather information worked.  Sometimes rebooting the Stratux would do the job - although sometimes it required three or four reboots.  Sometimes, restarting Naviator on my tablet would fix it.  But for the last couple months - nothing seems to fix it.

At first, I thought it was my Stratux overheating on glareshield.  But then I pulled up the Stratux managemenet webpage in the tablet browser - and it shows that it DOES have a GPS fix, and traffic information.  But for some reason, that data is not getting into Naviator.  Restarting Naviator over and over doesn't fix it any more.  And going into ADSB Diagnostics shows only the "Receiver Connection".

The weird part - last week, while ADSB Diagnostics showed nothing but connection.  But on the whole flight back to San Antonio from Dallas - Naviator displayed traffic around me, and tracked my position - just like everything was working right.  But it had the "NO GPS" warning on the screen, and the GND STATIONS count is zero.

Today going to Midland and back - GND STATIONS and ADSB Diagnostics shows only "Receiver Connection" - nothing else.  And today, the GPS did not track or show other traffic.  But the tablet was picking up weather information from the Stratux - and displaying it on the screen.

So it seems to be getting progressively worse.  But today, I pulled out my phone - and it worked perfectly with the Stratux.  Naviator on it showed GPS position, traffic, and weather.  WEIRD!

I'm considering wiping Naviator and reloading it on my tablet - to see if it fixes the problem.  I was kinda holding off on this drastic step, as I didn't have sufficient time today to redownload all the charts, maps, and procedures.  But that's all I can think of to try next.

Anyone else ever see this problem?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Chuck

Tablet = Samsung S2Pro SM-T710 running Andoid 7.0 Nougat and Naviator 3.8.7
Phone = Nexus 6P running Android 7.0 Nougat and Naviator 3.8.7

#2 2017-Aug-06 10:46 pm

lwojcik

Re: Naviator problems working with Stratux

Naviator with Stratux on TF101

I am finally back to attempting to get a Stratux device (freeflight) to work with my ASUS tablet.   If I log into its operating system the Stratux thinks it is well, passes on GPS and an occasional report from a high flying airplane while on the ground, .   The Stratux fails to connect with Naviator.  It works fine with my cell phone, a LG G5 (Android Nougat), though the display is too small for serious navigation.  I want the ADSB-in for TFRs and weather while airborne and the GPS which is better than the built-in GPS in the ASUS tablet.   Some of my flights last 5+ hours and lots can change in that much time.

The Stratux does not work with Naviator on my ASUS TF101, which is running Android 4.03.  Under Naviator on the ASUS the ADSB diagnostics show receiver connection, but no "heartbeat", "GPS", or "FIS-B" uplink.  Is Naviator using something that has changed in android or Naviator since 4.03 ?   Or is there some device needed that is not on the ASUS ?

I would sure like to get this resolved, since I have a number of long flights coming up and Naviator is my mainstay for cross country navigation.

Thanks,

Leonard

#3 2017-Aug-07 6:09 am

aelliott

On your tablet, under External Devices - ADS-B Settings, did you set the WiFi port to Stratux?

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

#4 2017-Aug-07 7:19 am

lwojcik

WIFI is set to Stratux.   All settings the same as for LG G5.  That one works - ASUS doesn't.  Connect says it is connected to ADS-B receiver.  Under
ADS-B diagnostics: Receiver connection is green, all others are red.  BTW, what is "Heartbeat" ?

#5 2017-Aug-07 7:42 am

aelliott

One other thing to check, since you are running an new version of Android: Under Settings (android, not Naviator), Developer Options, you might want to try "Use legacy DHCP client".  You'll need to reboot the tablet after checking this to be sure it resets properly.

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

#6 2017-Aug-07 12:14 pm

lwojcik

Andy:
It works OK on the LG G5 cellphone running Anmdroid 7.0.

The problem is with the ASUS tablet (older) running Android 4.03.

Board footer