Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2016-Sep-13 8:08 am

cmmguy

Ping Buddy Supported?

Is the Ping Buddy Supported?

http://www.uavionix.com/products/pingbuddy/

$150

pingBUDDY-with-Quarter.png

pingBuddy is the world’s smallest and lightest Wi-Fi ADS-B receiver.  It features internal Wi-Fi, dual-link ADS-B In, and built-in antennas.  pingBuddy brings real-time air traffic reporting and weather updates to your Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) of choice.  Simply power pingBuddy, join the wireless network and load up your EFB software to view surrounding aircraft and flight information.

#2 2016-Sep-13 1:47 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: Ping Buddy Supported?

It looks like it will be compatible based on the marketing materials, but I've sent them an email to get a definitive answer. I'll post back here when I receive a reply.

Cheers,
Mike

#3 2016-Sep-14 6:31 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Update: I've received a response from uAvionix and it looks like it should work without any problems.

Cheers,
Mike

#4 2016-Sep-14 8:52 am

aelliott

I have a friend who is currently using one with Naviator on a Nexus7(v2013) at the same time he is running a stratux with his panel mounted IFly740. He won it by dropping his card int he bowl at Oshkosh!  Anyway, he says it works fine and is quite surprised that the tiny fractal antenna works as well as it does, but he is flying a plastic Vari-Eze. He did mention [1] that the stratux with a real weighted 1/4-wave antenna gets better reception, and [2] that the little PingBuddy draws much less power than the RPi, and does not get hot.
FWIW,

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

Board footer