Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2016-Apr-24 7:55 am

jimmyg2000

Error message

I keep getting the error message on my tablet "ADS-B:ERROR" in red. It is in the upper left corner of the Sectional screen. When I first built the Stratux ADS-B In receiver I had a green "ADS-B:OK" message there. I can't figure out what is going on. Anybody got any ideas?
Thank you,
Jimmy

#2 2016-Apr-24 12:10 pm

rollawade

Re: Error message

jimmyg2000 wrote:

I keep getting the error message on my tablet "ADS-B:ERROR" in red. It is in the upper left corner of the Sectional screen. When I first built the Stratux ADS-B In receiver I had a green "ADS-B:OK" message there. I can't figure out what is going on. Anybody got any ideas?
Thank you,
Jimmy

Stratux is beta software, so that sort of thing happens.  A check of the ADS-B status page of Naviator's ADS-B settings may reveal more.  Often enough it means a glitch has occurred on the software handshaking that is needed for the two systems to play well together.  a good boot of either and/or both may remedy it, but you may more commonly have the problems below:

1)In my experience it may also happen if power or overheat problems occur in the Stratux.  Overheat can be corrected with better ventilation or forced air cooling (via built in fans that some folks install, or in my case I placed the box in front of the cool air vents). 

2)Also, 2 radio dongles and a GPS can draw enough power that some battery/usb-cable combos are borderline in supplying the needed 5volts at about 1amp for the raspberry PI.  The original Mashi battery was often reported as iffy for power, and better Anker batteries or ship's powered USB 2.1 converters were recommended with hefty thick USB power cables.

There is a red LED on the Pi circuit board that will blink when power is a potential problem.  it is steady if power is good.   DO NOT confuse that red LED with the other red LED on the ry835AI integral gps/flat-plate antenna that will Blink red when good GPS  lock has occurred.

#3 2016-May-04 9:38 pm

JBTripacer

Jimmy, did you find a solution?  I powered my stratux up for the first time tonight,  and got the same error (of course, I'm on the ground.) If you find a solution, please post it.  I'm no programmer...

#4 2016-May-14 12:50 am

maverick

A few things might be happening. Your receiver must be able to see a ground station to get the ADS-B IN. You will need an airplane in the area that has ADS-B OUT hitting the ground station to make the ground station send out data for you to see. The voltage might be low. Hope this helps.

#5 2017-Feb-16 2:28 pm

edameyer

I see this thread is quite old but, I am seeing the same error as OP and can't figure out how to get it to work. I have a new Stratux version 1.0r1. Receiver Connection is green but no heartbeat. The Stratux page at 192.168.10.1 looks like connection between devices is good and it is seeing several airplanes. When I power down Stratux, error message goes away. Avare works so it seems like it is something specific to Naviator.

#6 2017-Feb-24 11:43 am

JohnAJohnson

I've had three different ADS-B devices and they all worked the same.  On the ground at my airport, I cannot see an ADS-B tower.  When I first launch Naviator during preflight, in the top left screen, I get an ORANGE colored message, "ADS-B Warning".  On climbout at approximately 1200' AGL when I am within sight of a tower, the message turns to a GREEN "ADS-B OK" and stays that way if I remain in sight of a tower.  If I loose sight of a tower, the message turns to the ORANGE "ADS-B Warning".  If I cruise around a bit and power down my ADS-B receiver, I will get a RED "ADS-B Error".  If my ADS-B receiver quits outputting for any reason, I get a RED "ADS-B Error".  To verify that the problem isn't Naviator, simply back out of the app, clear it out of memory, and relaunch it.  I have found it necessary at times to "Reconnect" Naviator to the ADS-B IN receiver, and at times I've had to toggle bluetooth (if that's how you are connecting) off, then back on, but those are exceptions to an otherwise reliable interface.

Hope this helps.

#7 2017-Feb-24 1:33 pm

rollawade

In my experience one should note that connections to ADS-B with Naviator (either DUAL XGPS170 or Stratux) generally need the ADS-B unit to be up and running BEFORE starting the Naviator app. 

You then generally get a good connect with bluetooth (DUAL) or wi-fi (Stratux) as Naviator is started.

The ORANGE  simply means tower is not seen.  GREEN means good connection.  RED generally means Naviator (or the device it is running on) is having an "issue".  BUT, most commonly for me it meant:

a)  the power supply for the Stratux devise was inadequate (I changed from Mashi battery to the Jackery battery for my Stratux
                    978/1090/gps build)

or

b)  the Stratux device needed to be rebooted (it is a work-in-progress software package after all)

Each issuance of the Stratux software has improved things for me.  Try running the latest release of software if you are using Stratux.  There are still lingering problems from Stratux because of need to have "write" access to the SD software card, but a future version that is "read-only" might remedy those problems.

Board footer