Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2016-Mar-17 9:25 am

cmmguy

Android devices that Naviator works on with few problems

I didnt find a thread of devices so I was hoping that users could add to this thread of devices that have worked well.  Maybe the forum owner could make this thread sticky if it seems worth it.

#2 2016-Mar-17 9:27 am

cmmguy

Re: Android devices that Naviator works on with few problems

Samsung Note 3 works well.  THe screen is a bit small but I have used it successfully in a Cherokee with a yoke mount..

I'll start smile

Last edited by cmmguy (2016-Mar-17 9:31 am)

#3 2016-Mar-17 9:30 am

cmmguy

Samsung SM-T900 Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1

This works well but the 10 display is too big in the cockpit to mount.

#4 2016-Mar-21 11:54 am

JohnAJohnson

Samsung Tab 2 7" (GT-P3113, Android 4.2.2, internal 8gb and 32gb sd card) works well for all functions except 3D.  Bottom (earth side) is dark blue with some contour.  3D appears to work OK for a while and then crashes the app.  Overall, the tablet is slower to render than the GT-P6210, below).

Samsung Tab 7.0 Plus (GT-P6210, Android 4.1.2, internal 16gb and 16gb sd card) works well for all functions except 3D.  Bottom (earth side) is white with no contour.  Runways are visible in 3D, however.  Overall, the tablet is much faster to render than the GT-P3113, above).

#5 2016-Mar-21 2:34 pm

flyzone

Nexus 2013 (ver 2) is fine if a bit small but sits nicely on the yoke and I can still see my instruments in my Cherokee. At times it does choke a bit for speed but is much better than it used to be. The original Nexus (2012 ver 1) in my experience is terribly slow. To solve the size problem I've have wanted to get a Samsung Tab S. It is somewhat larger (8.9") and the screen is drop dead gorgeous but I've just procrastinated since the Nexus is good enough and I'm not looking for trouble. The 8.9" Tab A is probably a good substitute for it. I think anything larger than that on the yoke is probably too large for instrument flying.

Last edited by flyzone (2016-Mar-21 2:35 pm)

#6 2016-Mar-29 1:17 pm

Chris B

The Nexus 7 (v2) with 32GB works great for me. I bought two to have a spare since they are no longer available new.

My experience with the 16GB version was not so good, and IME the v1 is even worse.

One great feature of the Nexus 7 (v2) for semi-permanent installations is inductive charging. This helps reduce cable clutter while making it easy to temporarily remove from the RAM mount for hand-held use by either pilot. I will be very reluctant to "upgrade" to a newer tablet without inductive charging.

#7 2016-Apr-04 7:12 am

cmmguy

My Samsung 10" was too big so upgraded to an ASUS

ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA)  link

4Gb Ram, 64Gb built-in memory

It works extremely well with Naviator. Zero lag.  Maybe the only issue will be battery. No recharge during a weekend flight of 2.1 hours and there was 60% of the battery left. In flight charging might be necessary.

$249 on Amazon

#8 2016-Apr-12 8:37 am

SWR

I am using a 10 inch diagonal, Asus Transformer Pad, model TF700T.  Older eyes need bigger displays!!!  The split screen feature works well on this size display.  The screen is bright and I keep the tablet plugged in to the charger during flight.

#9 2016-May-15 1:38 pm

JWO

Been using a Samsung Tab 4, 16GB internal memory and 32GB SD card, 7 inch screen, for the last 3 months. Works great, no problems encountered. Connects via WiFi to Salus-3 for ADS-B in and out. Tab 4 is mounted in landscape mode to center of control wheel. Use split screen for synthetic vision and map for weather & traffic. I don't use it for approach plates, in landscape it would be a bit small for plates, but in portrait mode it would likely be very good for that as well.

#10 2016-May-18 9:33 am

JohnAJohnson

cmmguy wrote:

...ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA)  link

It works extremely well with Naviator. Zero lag.  Maybe the only issue will be battery. No recharge during a weekend flight of 2.1 hours and there was 60% of the battery left. In flight charging might be necessary.

$249 on Amazon

Just bought one, although the best price I could find was $269 (newegg).  This is a very nice tablet that works great with Naviator.  I took it on a one hour flight the other day and the battery went down to 80%, so I'm seeing the same battery issue you saw.  This morning I hard wired it to the avionics bus.  Problem solved.  Only other problem is secure mounting.  I just ordered a RAM-HOL-TAB27U from Amazon.  Hope it works out.

#11 2016-May-18 12:09 pm

barms717

I use two Android devices with good to great results. 

The first is an Asus Transformer 700, great screen resolution and good GPS lock.  Its a good idea to have power connected for long cross country days.  It will go four hours with no problem.  Sometime during the next three hours you will run out of power.

The second is a Nexus 6P.  Rivals or passes my Garmin 496 for capability and inflight utility.

#12 2016-May-21 9:56 pm

Airfoil

A bit of a Samsung Fan I guess. I have used it on the following without any problems.

Current:
Samsung Note 4
Samsung Note Pro 12.2  (SM-P907A AT&T branded LTE tablet)

Past:
Samsung TabPro 8" (SM-T325 International LTE tablet/phone)
Samsung Tab A 8"   (SM-P355 International LTE tablet/phone w/s-pen)

#13 2016-Jun-20 12:38 pm

Don Cameron

I am running Naviator for flight simulator fsx on my new Samsung galaxy tab A, running very well except for loss of portions of the map in areas at different times and height, never had this problem on the Galaxy 10.1, anybody got any ideas? Be grateful for some help on this one.
Don't Cameron

#14 2016-Jun-21 4:30 pm

flyzone

Hmmm ... no reports on the Nexus 9.

#15 2016-Jun-22 3:13 pm

cmmguy

Don Cameron wrote:

I am running Naviator for flight simulator fsx on my new Samsung galaxy tab A, running very well except for loss of portions of the map in areas at different times and height, never had this problem on the Galaxy 10.1, anybody got any ideas? Be grateful for some help on this one.
Don't Cameron

Which map? Base?

#16 2016-Jun-29 4:48 pm

BillJ

Works great on my Nexus 9...

#17 2016-Aug-02 5:34 am

Fendermb4

cmmguy wrote:

My Samsung 10" was too big so upgraded to an ASUS

ASUS ZenPad S 8.0 (Z580CA)  link

$249 on Amazon

I'm currently using this tablet as well.  I got it from Verizon because I wanted the 4G version, for about the same price.  Works great, seems to be one of the faster tablets out there right now.  My flights tend to be under 2 hrs, so I haven't had an issue with the battery life yet.

#18 2016-Aug-18 2:14 pm

alaslistas

The problem now arises when the gps sateleites owned by DOD are not available, detuned or jammed that is why Im running the LG Optimus 4x P-880 its chip can pick up Russian Glonass and in a little bit the BieDoue Chineses GPS satelites constelations that are unaffected by DOD

#19 2016-Nov-04 8:08 am

gwalborn

I am running Naviator just fine on an Amazon Fire Tablet 8" (around $90).  I just made a round trip to Chattanooga, TN from Youngstown, OH and had no problems.  I feed the audio from the tablet into my audio panel via a bluetooth receiver and have a high power cigarette lighter USB source for power.  It fits nicely on my yoke and seems to have enough brightness to use in full sunlight.  I did install a no-glare screen protector which may help with glare.  BTW, the 7" and 10" tablets work well also, but the 8" seems to be the best compromise for space and readability.

Gary Walborn
N9732J

Last edited by gwalborn (2016-Nov-04 8:09 am)

#20 2016-Nov-04 12:14 pm

Chris B

gwalborn wrote:

I am running Naviator just fine on an Amazon Fire Tablet 8"

What are you using for GPS?

AFAIK the Fire tablets don't have internal GPS.

#21 2016-Nov-04 7:27 pm

aelliott

Note that the Samsung 8" Tab A will be on sale for $120 at Costco from 18-28 November.  smile

Andy Elliott
Huawei M3, A7, Naviator 3.9.1, echoUAT

#22 2016-Nov-07 10:56 am

gwalborn

You are correct, the Fire Tablet does not have internal GPS.  I am using a FlightBox with the unit for ADS-B and it includes a WAAS GPS.

Gary Walborn
N9732J

#23 2016-Nov-30 4:20 pm

Emtcole86

I am considering a Galaxy Tab A 7" with GPS 8gb Quadcore micro SD.  Thoughts

N5709T

#24 2016-Dec-03 1:10 am

Light_Sport

I have the tab a 8 inch and naviator works flawlessly.  It also worked great on my old tab 3 7 inch, so I doubt you will have any problems with the tab a 7 inch.

#25 2016-Dec-17 6:55 am

rollawade

Several folks have mentioned use of the Kindle Fire tablets.  But my new 7" Fire (the 16gb) does not have native access to Google Play store.  I read of some hacks to get that, but have some Naviator users done this to get Play store and/or can you install Naviator without doing that?  And, what concerns/risks were involved in that?

Board footer