Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2016-Feb-17 11:21 am

JohnAJohnson

AHRS and XGPS190

First flight this morning with my new XGPS190.  I like seeing 1090 traffic smile

I have a few questions about XGPS190 AHRS usage in Naviator.  First, Roll and Pitch.  I have the XGPS190 on the top of the glare shield, and it is fairly close to level in roll and pitch.   My airplane sits a few degrees nose high on the ground and a few degrees nose low at cruise.  I calibrated AHRS during preflight and both my main tablet (PFD displayed) and my cell phone (3D displayed) snapped to zero pitch and roll.

After establishing cruise, I recalibrated AHRS and roll and pitch snapped to zero.  A few minutes later, I did a standard rate turn for 180 degrees, and noticed halfway though the turn that roll had "false erected" and was showing me at wings level on both tablet and phone.When I eventually rolled out, it showed me in a 30 degree bank for a half minute or so, then eventually corrected to zero degrees roll.  It appears there is no "erection cutout" logic when turning.  Needless to say, this makes the PFD fairly useless as an aid to maintaining roll attitude.  3D is the same as the PFD for attitude, but it does show terrain so it is somewhat useful.  It appears pitch has the same problem but I couldn't verify it as much as I wanted to.  What was noticeable though was that when entering a turn (such as the example above), with pitch starting at zero degrees, as soon as you start to brank/turn, pitch slowly climbs up to ten degrees or so and stays there during the turn.  This is in either left or right turns.   And yes, I was maintaining a level pitch attitude during the turn smile.  I can see how this can happen if the XGPS190 isn't perfectly level in pitch - any roll motion would give a pitch output too.  After leveling out, pitch slowly worked its way back to zero.  Is there anything you can do for the false erection problem, and if not, can you give us the option of ignoring AHRS for 3D?

Now for heading.  The XGPS190 seems to provide a fairly decent heading output, but like any compass it is effected by its environment.  It reads almost accurate when on the copilots seat and about 20 degrees off when placed on top of the glare shield.  Is there a possibility of putting in a calibration procedure, like the one for roll and pitch? (My Zaon XRX makes you point the airplane to 360 degrees, then you push a button to calibrate).

Or... is this something I need to take up with Dual?

Last edited by JohnAJohnson (2016-Feb-17 11:27 am)

#2 2016-Feb-19 7:50 am

JohnAJohnson

Re: AHRS and XGPS190

Mike, any input on this?

#3 2016-Feb-19 8:10 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

For attitude, the only data Naviator has access to is the final roll/pitch/heading output from the XGPS190. All of the processing of the raw accelerometer and gyro sensor data is done within the XGPS190 unit itself. For this reason, any gyro tumbling or incorrect attitude indications will need to be resolved within the XGPS190 firmware by the people at Dual. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful...

Cheers,
Mike

#4 2016-Feb-19 10:52 am

JohnAJohnson

That's very helpful and exactly what I needed to know.  Thanks

#5 2016-Feb-22 3:49 pm

JohnAJohnson

Mike, FYI...  I flew this morning with my friends iPad (WingX) and the XGPS190 and WingX verifies the problem is not with Naviator.

Last edited by JohnAJohnson (2016-Feb-22 3:49 pm)

#6 2016-Feb-23 8:19 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the update!

Cheers,
Mike

#7 2016-Mar-07 5:59 am

MountainGoat326

I'm having the exact same issue with the XGPS190.
The main issue can be replicated by using the unit in a car, simply drive around a steady turn and the attitude will show a bank.
After exiting the turn the attitude will no longer return to level.
After six flights this is consistent in the aircraft, when making a coordinated turn and rolling out of the turn the attitude is no longer level.
Also while in motion the attitude indication drifts rather quickly and never seems to return to original level, again this can be replicated in a car. Just set it to level attitude indication, drive around a bit and park in the same place and it’s no longer level.
I'm sure this is something that Dual can correct with a firmware update, I've contacted them about this.

#8 2016-Mar-07 8:43 am

flyzone

I have had a Dual XGPS170 for some time. I would not buy another Dual unit. It seems they just sell hardware and support is nearly non-existent.  I've seen several reports like these on the GPS190 and other past reports and no one ever seems to have any feedback from them. I've tried to get a new antenna which was junk and a new panel mount pad but it seems they are not available. I've never seen them at trade shows (e.g. Sun'n'Fun). For those of us not already committed (i.e. stuck), I'd go with an iLevel or another company that is more engaged.

#9 2016-Mar-16 12:37 pm

MountainGoat326

XGPS190 Update. Dual is working on the AHRS issue, there have been several firmware updates. The firmware is easy to update. An apple and android app is in the works for checking status and firmware for current updates. It's not there yet but they are working on it.

Board footer