Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.8.5 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2016-Jan-11 3:31 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 3.6.3

Naviator version 3.6.3 has been released to the Play Store. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

New features in version 3.6.3:

• Bug fixes

New features in version 3.6.1:

• Added support for the pitot-static features of the iLevil AW ADS-B receiver (indicated airspeed, vertical speed, pressure altitude)

• Added support for the XGPS190 ADS-B receiver and AHRS

• Enabled GPX route import via email attachments and file manager apps

New features in version 3.6.0:

• Integration with the AOPA Flight Planner (see below for details)

• New styling for map labels

• Added the ability to tap on traffic targets to see additional details

• Added the ability to 'mute' traffic targets

• New logic for activating a 'direct-to' to an existing waypoint in the active route (the active route is no longer deleted when initiating a direct-to to an existing waypoint)

• Support for importing GPX route files

• Improved user interface for importing and exporting routes and user waypoints

AOPA Flight Planner
Naviator 3.6 features integration with the AOPA Flight Planner. AOPA members are now able to download their stored routes from the Flight Planner to their phones or tablets running Naviator. Eventually we plan to extend the integration to support syncing of custom user waypoints, aircraft and pilot profiles. If you are an AOPA member, give this new feature a try by tapping the "Quick Plan" button followed by the "cloud" icon:
aopaimport.png

About the AOPA Flight Planner
Web link: https://www.aopa.org/flightplanner/
The AOPA Flight Planner provides simple and advanced route planning for AOPA members. Some of the planning features include:

• Route line rubber banding

• Interactive charts (VFR and IFR versions)

• Chart overlays (weather, airspace, routing and obstacles)

• Range tool utility (time, distance and fuel)

• Fuel along route (location and prices)

• Integration with AOPA Airports Directory

• User defined waypoints

• Printable Navigation Log and Charts

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by Mike (2016-Jan-19 10:23 am)

#2 2016-Jan-11 10:46 pm

slodders

Re: Naviator 3.6.3

Very cool!!

I had to logon to AOPA from within Naviator to access a flight plan I created in AOPA Flight Planner. How do I log out from within Naviator...or do I log out elsewhere?

Thanks,

Dave

#3 2016-Jan-11 10:50 pm

slodders

Oh, I should point out that waypoints I created in AOPA Flight Planner, not previously known to Naviator, were also brought forward with the flight plan and are displayed by Naviator.

Very nice!

#4 2016-Jan-11 10:53 pm

slodders

slodders wrote:

Very cool!!

I had to logon to AOPA from within Naviator to access a flight plan I created in AOPA Flight Planner. How do I log out from within Naviator...or do I log out elsewhere?

Thanks,

Dave

Am I really logging on to AOPA from Naviator, or, is Naviator only getting my credentials so that it can access my flight plans in AOPA's Flight Planner, i.e., no logout is required?

#5 2016-Jan-12 7:40 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

slodders wrote:

Am I really logging on to AOPA from Naviator, or, is Naviator only getting my credentials so that it can access my flight plans in AOPA's Flight Planner, i.e., no logout is required?

When you enter your AOPA user name and password, it creates a session which automatically expires when you close the Naviator app. There is no need to explicitly log out.

Cheers,
Mike

#6 2016-Jan-12 9:22 am

flyzone

Can't wait to try the DIRECT changes in real time in flight. Looks good.

#7 2016-Jan-12 12:29 pm

rollawade

Good -
nice to see aopa flight plans.  also glad to have mute option on targets. 

Formatting question??/bug? -
  altitude report for 1090ES traffic from StratuX showed in Naviator's detail/mute box box as 34,105 feet  - but Stratux web page said actual report from aircraft was 34000.  Are altimeter shifting corrections in Naviator being applied to the input data when they shouldn't be?

#8 2016-Jan-14 7:27 am

rollawade

How does one unmute a previously muted traffic target?

#9 2016-Jan-14 10:40 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

rollawade wrote:

How does one unmute a previously muted traffic target?

Traffic targets will remain muted until the app is restarted. This function is primarily intended as a way to get rid of persistent ownship "ghost" targets.

Cheers,
Mike

#10 2016-Jan-14 11:08 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

rollawade wrote:

altitude report for 1090ES traffic from StratuX showed in Naviator's detail/mute box box as 34,105 feet  - but Stratux web page said actual report from aircraft was 34000.  Are altimeter shifting corrections in Naviator being applied to the input data when they shouldn't be?

This is happening because of the way traffic target altitudes are being reported to Naviator. Some ADS-B vendors send target altitudes referenced to GPS altitude, while others are sending the target's pressure altitude referenced to 29.92". Naviator's ADS-B integration was originally written at a time when pressure sensors were not as common in phones/tablets and certainly not within the ADS-B receivers themselves, and these sensors are required in order to calculate accurate relative altitudes based on pressure altitude.

In light of this, one of the early ADS-B receivers we supported decided to standardize on sending GPS altitude for the traffic targets, and so this is what we coded. Comparing a GPS altitude (target) to a GPS altitude (ownship) = no problems!

Stratux, on the other hand, is apparently reporting pressure altitudes for the traffic targets. Naviator doesn't know this because there is no indication for what altitude reference is being used. Long story short - Naviator is interpreting the target's altitude as a GPS altitude referenced to WGS84 and is applying a geoid correction in order to convert to an altitude above MSL. This is where the 105ft error is coming from.

I'm modifying the code so Naviator will interpret target altitudes as pressure altitudes when using Stratux.

That said, please keep in mind that in the ADS-B system some traffic targets use pressure altitude and some use GPS altitude and as a result there will always be the potential for some error in the calculation of relative altitudes. It's impossible for Naviator to know which type of altitude is being used.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 2016-Jan-14 11:42 am

rash

Would it be possible for Naviator to have a setting or some other method to specify which kind of altitude (pressure vs gps) is being provided? I'm assuming your explanation is related to something else I've noticed. My version of stratux is indeed reporting gps altitude (because that's all it knows - I'm not using the gps/pressure combo chip most people are using - I'm feeding position & altitude data via rs-232 nmea from a garmin unit to the stratux). Your explanation above seems to explain why both the altitude on the garmin & that reported on stratux's web interface agree, yet the altitude in Naviator is about 100 feet different. Perhaps if I could tell Naviator not to apply the correction, then I'd see the same altitude on the garmin as I see in Naviator?

Thanks for the explanation & all your work on this great app!

#12 2016-Jan-14 4:11 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

rash wrote:

I'm assuming your explanation is related to something else I've noticed.

The issue described by rollawade is a bit different from yours. In your case, I think there might be a bug in the Stratux code that is causing the altitude difference. I'm investigating this further but I'll post more details here when I have them.

Cheers,
Mike

#13 2016-Jan-14 7:11 pm

rash

Ah, ok; thanks, Mike! If there's anything I can do to help debug, feel free to let me know!

#14 2016-Jan-16 9:35 am

flyzone

flyzone wrote:

Can't wait to try the DIRECT changes in real time in flight. Looks good.

Tried out yesterday and it works perfectly. Flight plan was retained and new current position waypoint was created with direct routing to revised routing. Nice.

Now I'll have to see what to do about multiple point rerouting that converges back to the existing plan.

Last edited by flyzone (2016-Jan-16 9:46 am)

#15 2016-Jan-18 7:50 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Version 3.6.1 has been released. Release notes are in the original post above.

Cheers,
Mike

#16 2016-Jan-19 10:24 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Version 3.6.2 has been released. This is a minor release containing only a few bug fixes.

Cheers,
Mike

#17 2016-Jan-19 12:06 pm

rollawade

is there a speed trigger or something for displaying pressure altitudes (in the corner of the main display)?  previously pressure altitude displayed (running Stratux 0.5b5/naviator 3.6.2) as soon as power and wifi link/heartbeat/gps were in the green.

web view of stratux is reporting pressure altitude.  But Naviator displays "---".  this is while stationary on the ground.  I have not trying it yet while moving/flying.

Last edited by rollawade (2016-Jan-19 12:06 pm)

#18 2016-Jan-19 12:40 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

There is a new configuration setting on the ADS-B Settings screen called "Override internal pressure sensor". You'll need to enable this in order for Naviator to use the pressure altitude values from Stratux.

Cheers,
Mike

#19 2016-Jan-19 1:18 pm

rollawade

The following is of a ground test while stationary w/0.5b5 stratux and 3.6.2 naviator w/ground elevation about 1300msl and qnh 30.40:

Ok, found and made altitude override selection to utilize ADB-B pressure altitude.  No joy.  Webui/gps/ahrs STRATUX altitude shows proper altitude of 972ft p.a., but Naviator is still displaying -----.

I also notice that the "-----ft" box WILL display a value like 36,122 for a fraction of a second and revert to "-----".  The random winking altitude might be some random mode 1090es traffic that my enabled 1090 sdr is receiving while in the house here. (I see such a target on my screen w/traffic filter off )  As I am writing this, I see a quick flash of 31,189 appearing and then reverting to "------".  The false winking altitude come about once a minute or so...

p.s. I rebooted stratux and naviator.  after I had good ads-b green lights (except for ads-b link in orange since the ground station is not seen from this location) and reconfirmed that the problem was as stated above.  it is.  I did notice that if I select PFD display and request pressure altitude display the vertical tape reverted to 0, GPS indicator stayed the same green color and did not change to something else (an oversight of screen formating I think)  BUT there is now a once a second pulse of the displayed tape to a random altitude (30,622 or something likely taken from 1090ES traffic overhead.   So..the altitude tape gets yanked from 0 to 36000+ about once a second (much quicker and repeatable than the press altitude box on the main screen). 

I suspect there are altitude values being misplaced in Naviator (maybe STratux ? ) code.....

Last edited by rollawade (2016-Jan-19 1:44 pm)

#20 2016-Jan-19 1:35 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Bug confirmed. I'll get a new build out ASAP. Thanks for reporting this.

Cheers,
Mike

#21 2016-Jan-19 1:46 pm

rollawade

Our messages got passed in the ethernet.....  I amended the last post to point out a problem in the PFD display where the pressure altitude tape is being trashed once a second by the 1090es altitudes.....

thanks for the quick response.

#22 2016-Jan-19 4:03 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Version 3.6.3 has been released to correct this bug. Thanks for your patience and help testing!

Cheers,
Mike

#23 2016-Jan-21 2:43 pm

mooneyflier

Mike, Naviator unexpectantly closed twice yesterday.  It happened when I tapped on a traffic  target  to get the pop out info screen. It was attached to the Stratux ads-b in unit at the time.  I sent a comment and attached the log file. Thanks Tom

#24 2016-Jan-21 3:18 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Thanks for the report. I'll be releasing an update tomorrow which will fix this.

Cheers,
Mike

Board footer