Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2015-Aug-07 1:33 pm

Light_Sport

DIY ADS-B receiver?

I saw this post and It looks interesting.  I like projects like this, and I would love to build one.  I think that I would have to swap out the WIFI for Bluetooth (easy enough, I hope), but would something like this be supported by Naviator? 
Can Naviator have an ADS-B receiver without also having the unit send the GPS data? There are also GPS usb units that you could attach to the Raspberry Pi, but the GPS on my tablet works well enough for my purposes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comment … or_pretty/

#2 2015-Aug-07 2:21 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Re: DIY ADS-B receiver?

It "might" work depending on the communication protocol being used. If it's using GDL90, there is a good chance it will work. You shouldn't need to swap out wifi for Bluetooth either. That said, I haven't spent much time researching this and I'm not exactly sure what protocol it's using.

Light_Sport wrote:

Can Naviator have an ADS-B receiver without also having the unit send the GPS data?

Yep. There is no requirement to use the ADS-B receiver's GPS.

Cheers,
Mike

#3 2015-Aug-13 11:54 am

preN7936T
Website

"You shouldn't need to swap out wifi for Bluetooth either"

I'm also attempting to get this to work.  I don't see an option to connect an ads-b device via wifi..

#4 2015-Aug-13 12:59 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

If you go to the ADS-B Settings screen and tap the "Connect" button, it will treat the current WiFi network as an ADS-B receiver. The app will also remember the SSID of the network and whenever you start the app when you are connected to that network, it will continue to treat it as an ADS-B receiver.

Cheers,
Mike

#5 2015-Aug-13 1:17 pm

preN7936T
Website

Thanks for the quick response, and great support!

#6 2015-Aug-15 5:07 pm

Light_Sport

I am trying it out.  So far I am trying the default iso on the GIT page.  On the ADS-B diagnostics page i get a green for "receiver connection", but a red for everything else.  Is there any additional debug information that i can get to on Naviator?

#7 2015-Aug-17 7:14 pm

Light_Sport

I see that the stratux code does not populate bytes 6&7 in the GDL90 ICD (bytes 5&6 in the code below that starts at zero like any normal human).  Is that the problem, or is that problem that stratux sends byte 2 from the icd (1 from the code) as x01 "GDL 90 is initialized" and Naviator expects something else? 

Or am I way off in assuming that the first red box being "heartbeat" is not actually the first problem to solve?

Thanks!

Reference to the ICD:
http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/ads … D_RevA.PDF

Code snippet:
func makeHeartbeat() []byte {
    msg := make([]byte, 7)
    // See p.10.
    msg[0] = 0x00 // Message type "Heartbeat".
    msg[1] = 0x01 // "UAT Initialized".
    nowUTC := time.Now().UTC()
    // Seconds since 0000Z.
    midnightUTC := time.Date(nowUTC.Year(), nowUTC.Month(), nowUTC.Day(), 0, 0, 0, 0, time.UTC)
    secondsSinceMidnightUTC := uint32(nowUTC.Sub(midnightUTC).Seconds())

msg[2] = byte((secondsSinceMidnightUTC >> 16) << 7)
    msg[3] = byte((secondsSinceMidnightUTC & 0xFF))
    msg[4] = byte((secondsSinceMidnightUTC & 0xFFFF) >> 8)

// TODO. Number of uplink messages. See p.12.
    // msg[5]
    // msg[6]

return prepareMessage(msg)
}

#8 2015-Aug-18 12:59 pm

airportbum

I am really interested in this as well.  The Reddit has a ton of information and it looks like you guys are getting closer?  Thinking about ordering the hardware now.  Anyone want to buy a GDL39 that I have never used?!

Randy

#9 2015-Aug-18 3:14 pm

Light_Sport

So far I don't think that anyone has been able to get it to work with Naviator.  I have the hardware, so i am giving it a shot.  I will post a note when (if) I get it to work.  I am trying to collect data on my commute home past the airport to debug tonight.  Since Naviator works with the real GDL90, I know it can work with the PI, but there is obviously a wrong bit somewhere in  the code...

Someone has made a thread just for the Raspberry Pi ADS-B receiver:
https://www.reddit.com/r/stratux

#10 2015-Aug-18 7:18 pm

airportbum

Very much appreciate the efforts.  I had a 1st gen Pi and messed with it a bit (XBMC, etc.) and then gave it to my father to play with.  I have missed playing with one here anyway so I may get one on it's way.  They're a fun toy even if the ADS-B stuff doesn't pan out.   I wish there was something I could do to help.

R

#11 2015-Aug-19 10:15 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Light_Sport wrote:

Or am I way off in assuming that the first red box being "heartbeat" is not actually the first problem to solve?

No, this is a good place to start. I don't see any obvious problems with your code snippet. What I will do is send you a debug build of Naviator that will give you some insight into what Naviator is seeing from the ADS-B receiver. If you look at the logcat output on your tablet when running the debug build you will see a bunch of debug output from the parsing of the GDL90 messages.

I'll send the APK file to you via email. Anyone else who is working on this and would like a copy too, just send me a private message or post below.

Cheers,
Mike

#12 2015-Aug-19 11:08 am

Light_Sport

The developer for the pi code replied with my question about the heartbeat with the following:

"Try changing the output IP to 192.168.10.10:4000, there are some inconsistent results lately with Android devices receiving multicast UDP."

I will give it a shot tonight.

It seems that i get the "receiver connection" just by having the samsung tab 7 connected to the wifi on the pi, so i will keep on the heartbeat track.

Thanks!!

#13 2015-Aug-19 11:18 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

For Naviator you should use port 43211. Let me know how it goes...

Cheers,
Mike

#14 2015-Aug-20 7:32 pm

PAUL

Yes, I'm sure many of us are anxious to see how this works out. I hope this isn't one of those threads that dead ends with no answers.

#15 2015-Aug-20 8:30 pm

Light_Sport

It will work.  I tried yesterday, but i couldn't get a connection established.  My expertise does not center around networking, but it looks like the good folks at stratux are currently updating the networking code.  It looks like the new code will broadcast to 43211 as well as the ipad-friendly 4000.  I am taking a day off, but will try again this weekend.

I am going to try a newer tablet and see if there is just an issue with receiving a UDP stream on my Samsung tab 3 7".

Last edited by Light_Sport (2015-Aug-20 9:44 pm)

#16 2015-Aug-21 6:29 am

airportbum

Light, really appreciate your efforts with this. 

Mike, this forum is amazing because of your involvement in your community.  Truly refreshing.

I wish I had something technical to lend to the effort but my knowledge areas are not around that stuff.  What I can do is help test with different tablets, etc. if that's needed.  I have a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and a Galaxy 4 7 and am willing to go fly for no reason other than to test.  My pi stuff should be here tomorrow.  I've read through the reddit stuff a few times now as well.

Looking forward to updates and if there is anything I can do, let me know. 

Again, this is really exciting and very much appreciated. 

Randy

Tiger N9962U

Last edited by airportbum (2015-Aug-21 6:34 am)

#17 2015-Aug-21 8:06 am

PAUL

What airportbum said! I'm ready to order the Pi whenever you confirm that it will work

#18 2015-Aug-23 11:42 am

Light_Sport

It works with Naviator now.  The image file doesnt work, but the new updates to the network.go file sends to Naviator.  hint:  delete the /etc/stratux.conf file if you have installed a previous version hmm
I had traffic from a local ADS-B tower when i drove by it!!  smile

#19 2015-Aug-23 2:47 pm

airportbum

Light, are you lastdeadmouse on reddit by chance?   :-)

I've searched and for some reason am not seeing the steps to update.   Is it just a matter of copying the network.go file to the right place in the pi file system (not sure where that is) and deleting the /etc/stratus.conf file?

I flew with the stock build today and with Avare and it worked great.  I also saw four towers in my area in Foreflight on my iPad (but I fly with Naviator)  :-)

#20 2015-Aug-23 5:55 pm

Light_Sport

No, i am mostly a lurker.

I am on mobile right now, i will write up directions when i get a chance to sit down on a keyboard.

#21 2015-Aug-23 8:28 pm

PAUL

Light Sport--Thanks. I appreciate your efforts and your willingness to share. I've been following your progress, but I'm totally unfamiliar with Pi, Linux, Go, etc. I was unaware of this until it popped up seemingly out of nowhere just in the last few days. It's also just appeared on BeechTalk, but they're mostly into iPads and Foreflight. Can you write instructions along the lines of the "dummies" series? Once I put all of this together, I'd like at least a fair chance that it will actually work. I did a lot of programming in Quick Basic about 35 years ago, so I'm no stranger to the overall concepts.

#22 2015-Aug-23 10:06 pm

Light_Sport

I deserve no credit other than being a guinea pig.  I was originally going to add the capability for the networking component to support Naviator, but the developer (aka "strangerwithadvice" on reddit / cyoung on github) has been incorporating all the required features faster than i possibly could.
The github disk image version is basically a v0.1.  It does not support Naviator.  The in-work version that is posted (but not compiled - it is a set of source files that must be compiled prior to use) will support Naviator and the peculiarities of multicast to android devices.
If you are comfortable waiting a little while longer, i would bet that the github developers will release another full version with all the recent enhancements (including an inexpensive AHRS/GPS option), and all you have to do is put the image on the memory card and plug it into the pi.
If you are impatient or like to tinker, the version that is posted requires a bit of extra work, but it is not too bad.  I am going to drive past the antenna farm again tomorrow to make sure it is updating correctly.  Hopefully i will get some time to post instructions.

#23 2015-Aug-24 4:32 am

airportbum

Paul,

I'll write the basic instructions to use the packaged image later this evening and will help you with putting it together if needed.  Go ahead and get the hardware on it's way and we'll get you going.

Light,

Thanks again for what you're doing.  I'll look forward to seeing the steps when you have a minute to write it up.

Randy

EDIT:    Done.  Check post 27 and post if there are questions!   I'll help in any way I can.

Last edited by airportbum (2015-Aug-24 1:33 pm)

#24 2015-Aug-24 12:08 pm

PAUL

This is the shopping list from reddit:

http://amzn.com/B00MV6TAJI $69.99

http://amzn.com/B00P2UOU72 $25.95

http://amzn.com/B00JM59JPG $13.99

http://amzn.com/B000TGSPV6 $3.97

Is this really all I need? I already have a 3400 mAh backup battery that I can use--and lots of velcro. How about an antenna?

#25 2015-Aug-24 12:09 pm

PAUL

This is the shopping list from reddit:

http://amzn.com/B00MV6TAJI $69.99

http://amzn.com/B00P2UOU72 $25.95

http://amzn.com/B00JM59JPG $13.99

http://amzn.com/B000TGSPV6 $3.97

Is this really all I need? I already have a 3400 mAh backup battery that I can use--and lots of velcro. How about an antenna?

Board footer