Naviator Forums

The Navigation Solution for Android Aviators

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Become a fan of Naviator!
For urgent issues please use our Contact Form.
Naviator version 3.9.1 is now available. Click here for details.
New: We are pleased to offer complementary annual subscriptions to pilots who hold a valid CFI certificate issued by the FAA. Click here for details.

#1 2011-Aug-23 11:01 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Naviator 1.1.3a

Naviator 1.1.3a is now available for download. Edit: A newer version is now available here.

New features in this version:

• Bug fixes

• Total overhaul of the download and file management system. The app will automatically notify you of updates, and you can now update all of your files with only two taps.

• Files are downloaded using a background service so now you can use other apps while an update is in progress.

• When you move off the edge of a chart, the adjacent chart from the same "layer" (ex. VFR sectionals/TACs, IFR Enroute, etc.) will automatically load if it has been downloaded.

• Added airport and navaid names to their respective "Quick Info" screens.

• Added AWOS phone numbers to the Naviator Database (effective August 25, 2011)

• "Flick" panning of the map can now be enabled or disabled from the Map Settings screen

• Added a "Set as Default Location" option to the Airport Details screen. This can be useful if your tablet doesn't have a GPS and you are using Naviator as an electronic chart reader.

• Added a "Master Data Reset" button to the Preferences screen. This will wipe all Naviator data from the SD card.

This is a significant update, and many internal components of the app have changed since the last release. I appreciate any feedback and suggestions, and if you find any bugs please let me know!

Cheers,
Mike

#2 2011-Aug-27 2:03 pm

rotrhead

Re: Naviator 1.1.3a

Just downlaoded this program
Loaded it on my new Acer A500 and tried it out. NICE.....

May want to revisit the switching from one map to the next when scrolling.
Seems a little off. Noticed it quite a bit when scrolling from L10 to L27.
L27 was quite a ways from L10 and quite a bit lower on the screen.

Have you looked at a Nearest Capability for Airports. Also for  ATC and Flight Service Freqs ? I use that  capability quite often on the Garmin Handheld.

How about a artificial horizon ?

Stated somewhere that you were looking at obstruction clearance in the future. Any Idea on how long ?

I am new to tablets. Is there a way to add an external USB GPS to add better reception ?

This software looks well on it's way to being a perfect addition to my cockpit !

#3 2011-Aug-27 4:46 pm

mjrasn@msn.com

Haven't installed to a tablet yet.  Downloaded on an android X.  This is a great program.  There are a lot of great things so I hate to complain,
On the android, the is no problem with the Sectionals, and transition is smooth.
As for the IFR routes, not so good.  Even though it's downloaded I can choose L18 as a map preference at my airport.  Instead, I only can load L-22 and the plane Icon shows up in the bottom tables of the chart and unsuable.  Any suggestions?

#4 2011-Aug-27 7:46 pm

rotrhead

Have you thought of displaying the list of maps available graphically instead of in a list?
Add me to the list of users requesting pinch and zoom.
Is there any way to cancel downloads?

Last edited by rotrhead (2011-Aug-28 6:39 am)

#5 2011-Aug-28 8:16 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi rotrhead and mjrasn,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I can assure you that at least a few of them will likely make it into the next release.

Re: nearest airports; if you long-press on the airplane symbol you will see an option to view the nearest waypoints, including airports.

I will look into the issue with the L18 chart, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

It is possible to use an external Bluetooth GPS with Naviator. Please refer to this thread for details.

Cheers,
Mike

#6 2011-Aug-30 6:14 am

mjrasn@msn.com

Still only using on a DroidX. I'm not a tech guy, so problems are usually it's pilot error until I taught.  Did about 800 miles in x country and 6 approaches in the past 4 days.  Had the droidx mounted as a back up and it was right on with my primary navigation.

The function I'm having trouble is the IFR Route charts.  I can't get them to come up properly.  When I can get one up, the Icon is usually in the tables on the bottom of the charts.  Haven't been able to tranisition and or toggle between ifr charts.  Sectionals work fine,  No problem.

As a final attempt, I deleted my Sectionals and just kept the IFR charts.  Still won't do it right.  I'm based in the South East.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Like I said, I wouldnt be surprised to find this problem to be pilot error. ( could this be just a problem on the smaller size droid's,  I'm still shopping for a tablet)

#7 2011-Aug-30 12:28 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi mjrasn,

The problems you are describing do not sound like the normal behavior of the application. It should not matter that you are using a Droid X; IFR charts should function the same whether your are using a tablet or a phone.

When you tap the "Select a Chart" button while you are viewing your home airport on the map, do you see both L18 and L22? If you don't see them, try zooming out and then press the "Select a Chart" button again.

If you don't mind sharing the ident of your home airport it would help me troubleshoot. Please feel free to send me an email if you don't want to post it publicly.

Cheers,
Mike

#8 2011-Aug-30 1:33 pm

mjrasn@msn.com

Thanks for the help, problem solved

#9 2011-Aug-30 9:00 pm

rotrhead

Are you able to tell us what the appliccation will look like in the future? What plans you have?

The software I see as your competition is wingx if they ever get it ported to android. 

Again, is there any way to see current downloads and cancel the request?

#10 2011-Aug-31 10:18 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi rotrhead,

Some high priorities are georeferenced approach plates and weather overlays. A few more features are being worked on, but it's a little too early for me to discuss them. I'll be talking more about them in the coming weeks.

Currently the only way to see the list of files being downloaded is after you tap "Updates Available". A list will appear showing the files, and you can tap on an individual file to prevent it from being downloaded. Once the update process has started, you can cancel the downloads by tapping again on the "Updates Available" item on the main menu.

Cheers,
Mike

#11 2011-Aug-31 1:54 pm

Oliver

Hi Mike,

I just tried your application for the first time. My phone is a Google Nexus S.
The  application seems to work fine, for some reason it does however not display the Airport / Navaid / Intersection Layers.
All of them are marked in the preferences section, I also downloaded the global 'Airport and Navaid Data'.
Also nothing happens if I tap on an airport.

What I can do however is to search the database, so the data is generally 'there'.

Have I missed something?

Cheers,

Oliver

Last edited by Oliver (2011-Aug-31 1:55 pm)

#12 2011-Aug-31 7:34 pm

rralph

Hi Mike
I'm happy with the app on the Toshiba Thrive and the improvements that are being discussed. When I updated my maps this last cycle I notice that there are duplicate Lo IFR maps - the new cycle is there and the prevous cycle as well. How can I delete the old ones?  Also it would be nice to tell which states I have downloaded the approach plates for. When I go to choose a plate a list of states comes first. It would be helpful to have a mark or color difference to denote which have been downloaded without having to go to each airport to see. In the case of not all the plates for a state being downloaded, the number of airports or approaches compared to the total available could be noted next to the state, indicating a partial downlod only.
Keep up the good work

Bob

#13 2011-Sep-01 7:44 am

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Oliver and Bob. I have responded via email to both of you.

Cheers,
Mike

#14 2011-Sep-05 8:34 am

lyndonchappell

Hi Mike,

I just joined the site and have not yet purchased an Android device. I need to know which version of Android I should look for and any minimum hardware specs I need. I really want the ability to flight plan by entering the airway numbers (J and V). Can you confirm that Naviator has this capability? I am an air ambulance pilot (Lear 35) and I fly the northeast often. Up there, reroutes are common and the controllers expect us to quickly know the routings they give us. I know that Foreflight has this ability, but it does not run on Android.

Thanks
Lyndon

#15 2011-Sep-06 8:01 am

larsonaero

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not.....I'm running the latest version on both my droidX && my Motorola xoom.

The program is perpetually attempting to download the Salt Lake sectional. For several days. Every other chart downloads and updates just fine....but that chart won't ever download and install. Weird....as it works just fine on my Droid.....just won't download on my xoom.

I have a gig of free space....so I figure that's not it.

I'm getting ready to uninstall and reinstall the program....in hopes that will help.

#16 2011-Sep-06 2:05 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Lyndon,

Naviator should run well on anything with specs equal to or better than the original Motorola Droid. Yes, It is possible to flight plan by entering the airway identifiers using the "Quick Plan" feature in Naviator.

Cheers,
Mike

#17 2011-Sep-06 2:07 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi LarsonAero,

It sounds like the problem is specific to your Xoom, as you said it is working fine on your Droid. If the uninstall/reinstall doesn't work for you, can you please try using the "Master Data Reset" feature? It can be found on the Preferences screen.

Please let me know whether or not that works for you.

Thanks,
Mike

#18 2011-Sep-07 1:36 pm

Oliver

Hi Mike

Mike wrote:

Hi Oliver and Bob. I have responded via email to both of you.

Cheers,
Mike

thanks for your reply.

I just found the time to approach the issue systematically.

This is what I did:

- manually uninstalled and deselected the Detroit sectional chart
- manually uninstalled and deselected the Low Detail Base Map
- manually uninstalled and deselected the Naviator Database
- manually uninstalled and deselected the TFR Database
- erased all data performing the function Preferences --> Master Data Reset
- uninstalled Naviator
- rebooted the device
- installed Naviator
- selected and downloaded the Naviator Database
- selected and downloaded the Detroit sectional chart
- checked that the Map Layer are turned on in Preferences --> Map Layers
- made sure that the GPS has a fix

The Detroit chart is being displayed, however none of the airport and navaid overlays.
What might be related to this issues is that I can search, for example, for 'Detroit' what brings up a long list of results. If I however long-tap on the screen and carry out the function 'View Nearest Waypoints', Naviator is unable to find anything but brings up an 'Error querying the database' instead.

What is somewhat 'special' about me, is that I live near Stuttgart, Germany, close to the Airport EDDS, which is in the data base, as well as various navaids.
No matter, if I use my current location or if I set Detroit as my default location, the effect stays the same --> no airports or navaids on the screen, no nearest waypoints but the database error.

This is my hardware:

Google / Samsung Nexus S GT-I9023 (European Version)
Android Version: 2.3.4
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-ge382d80
Build Number: GRJ22

I would love to use your application, as I fly regularly in the USA.

Cheers,

Oliver

#19 2011-Sep-07 1:51 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for taking the time to systematically run through the issue, it will help me a lot. Do the airports and navaids show up for any other location besides the Detroit area? If you set the default location to EDDS for example, can you see the airport on the map?

Can you please list the files that have the extension ".db" and are located in the following directory:

/sdcard/android/data/com.onetwentythree.skynav2/files/

Thanks,
Mike

#20 2011-Sep-07 2:03 pm

Oliver

Hi Mike

Mike wrote:

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for taking the time to systematically run through the issue, it will help me a lot. Do the airports and navaids show up for any other location besides the Detroit area? If you set the default location to EDDS for example, can you see the airport on the map?

Can you please list the files that have the extension ".db" and are located in the following directory:

/sdcard/android/data/com.onetwentythree.skynav2/files/

Thanks,
Mike

No, it does not show anything except of the plane and the white background, no matter how far I zoom out.
If I search for EDDS and select 'direct to', I see that I am directly next to the airport. Naviator however neither shows any of the various navaids around the airport, nor is the airport displayed in a way like on the screenshots in the user manual. All it does is to show the text 'EDDS' - if I tap on it, nothing happens.

These are the files:

downloadables.db
dtpp 1109.db
navdata20110825.db
tfrs.db
tracks.db
userwp.db

Cheers,

Oliver

Last edited by Oliver (2011-Sep-07 10:22 pm)

#21 2011-Sep-16 5:31 pm

jvarin

Just loaded the new release and got a big letdown.
The software used to automatically rotate the screen when the device (Galaxy Tab, DROID-X) was rotated. Now the screen rotation is a manual process. Shouldn't have been a big issue except that the way the Tab mounts on my yoke, the screen rotation puts the images upside down. I run the tab on the copilot yoke tilted toward the pilot position. If I have to flip the device over, the external power cord is blocked by the right side of the yoke, so no external power.
How about adding the option to rotate the screen right or left at the pilots choice?

Thanks

Joe

#22 2011-Sep-16 9:01 pm

joemurffy

jvarin wrote:

Joe,

I feel your pain.  Not just a letdown, but an upside-down.  I'm in the same boat that you are for this making it difficult to provide external power.  Luckily, Mike has already promised to fix this in the next release.  See the below thread:

http://forum.naviatorapp.com/viewtopic.php?id=116

Fly Safely,
Joe

#23 2011-Sep-17 12:12 am

Oliver

Hi Mike,

some additional information, as I was this week personally in Detroit.
It made no difference - Naviator didn't show any overlay on the chart.

Cheers,

Oliver

#24 2011-Sep-22 9:20 pm

Mike
Administrator
Website

jvarin wrote:

The software used to automatically rotate the screen when the device (Galaxy Tab, DROID-X) was rotated. Now the screen rotation is a manual process. Shouldn't have been a big issue except that the way the Tab mounts on my yoke, the screen rotation puts the images upside down. I run the tab on the copilot yoke tilted toward the pilot position. If I have to flip the device over, the external power cord is blocked by the right side of the yoke, so no external power.
How about adding the option to rotate the screen right or left at the pilots choice?

Thanks

Joe

This has been fixed in version 1.1.3a.

Cheers,
Mike

#25 2011-Sep-23 3:14 pm

jvarin

Opened Naviator 1.1.3a and to my pleasant surprise, the screen rotated automatically when my Galaxy Tab was sideways.
I must compliment you on the speed in which you addressed this issue. Fixed in a week.
Foreflight\iPad beware. Naviator is coming on strong........

Joe

Board footer